New Cura version 5 announcement

Reading about CURA5 advances… ?!

What’s the future of a company that is so parasitically bound to a competitor? Lulzbot positions as a great hardware engineering company with functional yet second rate software. It’s ball & chain we trudge forward.

Still love my Mini2!

I’m a longtime user of Cura (since my Ultimaker Original in 2013). The Cura devs prioritize issues that relate to Ultimaker hardware first, which makes sense. After that, it really depends on demand.

I wish there was a Lulzbot profile in Cura 5. Based on what has been mentioned in this thread, would a gcode post processor help? Could such a thing be web driven online? Upload gcode, site spits out corrected gcode for the Lulzbot machines?

It would be almost trivial as a post-processor. The only things that are missing are the temps for the probe, wipe and cooldown phases, and these are part of the startup/shutdown portions of the gcode. This is why we’ve just gotten around it by having different machine profiles for each material. Since the temps don’t vary much between variants of filament types during these operations (while 5 degrees may matter during print, it doesn’t during wipe/probe), it’s fine to have one profile for ABS, one for PLA, one for PC, HIPS, etc.

Since Cura can read the filament “family” that could just be thrown in as a comment line that reads “REPLACE WITH PLA WIPE” and that gets swapped for an actual temp set command.