Side note first – turning off the machine on a half-crashed Cura had no effect. Maybe I imagined it.
TL:DR – I can type random words for PythonExecutable and Cura17 runs if I have the “/Users/ao-osee/.virtualenvs/goob/bin/python” link to “/usr/bin/python”. It seems the need for that python path exists elsewhere in the program.
As for the Python virtual environment, I never used 15 on my Mac, I did use 14 though.
Info.plist for Cura 14.09:
<string>2.7.8 (default, Nov 15 2014, 12:22:56)
[GCC 4.2.1 Compatible Apple LLVM 6.0 (clang-600.0.54)]</string>
Very interesting that a virtual environment for Python in Cura 14 was no issue. It always ran fine, UI issues aside.
I should mention that before I recreated the virtual environment path and a link to python for 17, I had tried just to identify the PythonExecutable as “/usr/bin/python” – which failed. I tested that again today to make sure I remembered right, and something interesting happened. So to be clear, this how I have Cura 17 Info.plist set:
Cura loads and works if the link “/Users/ao-osee/.virtualenvs/goob/bin/python” exists on my filesystem, but fails if that link does not exist. That sort of suggests that the existence of this python link in that specific location is important somewhere else in the program and whatever I did the other day with Info.plist wasn’t really the root of it. In fact, I just changed the “/usr/bin/python” string to “autumnIsHere” – which I know is not an executable on my system, and Cura 17 still loads up fine with that python link in place (but instacrashes if I remove it).
Between the fact that Cura 14’s Info.plist contains similar virtual environment stings, and the irrelevance of whatever I type for PythonExecutable, the need for the “/Users/ao-osee/.virtualenvs/goob/bin/python” link to exist, must be related to something elsewhere in the program.
Last, probably not pertinent but just in case – my executable paths are:
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin: (this differs from Info.plist: PyRuntimeLocations in both 14 and 17, but 14 always worked – it’s one the things I mentioned trying to change in Info.plist in my previous post)