Printing fine details with TAZ 5

I’m relatively new to 3D printing. I have a new TAZ 5 with the 0.5 nozzle. I’ve found I get pretty nice details on small prints (wargaming figures) but I wonder if a 0.35 nozzle will increase the detail quality?

Have other people tried this? Is it worth the bother?

How do you manage different nozzle sizes? Do you manually change nozzles (which appears difficult) or do you buy a 2nd print head assembly which is pretty easy to swap in/out when you want to change between 0.35 and 0.5?

Smaller nozzle will give you finer details, but increase print times.

I would recommend getting another nozzle assembly, rather than trying to change out nozzles - it’s easier in the long run.

It’s very easy to swap nozzles, a two minute job start to finish. It would be quicker if you didn’t have to wait for your hot end to get to temp.

I wish someone would post a youtube video of the entire process so I could see what’s involved before committing to doing it and getting stuck :slight_smile:

You won’t get stuck, it’s really very simple. All you need is an adjustable and a spanner or another adjustable. A big one to hold the hot end still, smaller one to grab the nozzle. After taking folament out the hot end, get nozzle to 165 C, undo it, don’t let it drop on the bed so put something on top of the bed in case it drops, but do the final few turns with pliers or vice grips etc that will hold it when it comes totally loose.

Get new nozzle, hand tighten it in a few turns (takes 10/15 seconds to get hot so don’t rush, but don’t try and get it in on the end of a tool, the threads are soft and the leverage from the end of a tool will still make it feel real easy even if it’s not going in straight) then use the tool to tighten it up. Once it gets near fully screwed in, get your torque wrench, set it to the correct setting, tighten it up. If you use a crows foot adaptor don’t forget to adjust accordingly. Then heat it up to 230/240, use the torque wrench again. Switch off the heat, let it all cool down, heat it back up, add filament, print.

Really the only thing that can go wrong is either screwing the new nozzle in at a bad angle and cross threading or overtightening and stripping the threads.

If you’re going to find yourself swapping nozzles regularly I’d absolutely recommend the E3D V6 nozzles, they’re a hex shape so can fit a socket over them which makes the whole process so much easier.

Have a look into my signature, I posted a guide with pictures.

There you go. An proper guide with pictures!

I really can’t state enough how light of a touch 30 in lbs is. Seriously, you probably use more force turning a tap on/off.