Prusa slicer on a workhorse

Hello I’m looking to make the transition from Lulzbot Cura edition to prusa slicer. Just looking if anyone uses this with there lulzbot and what issues you ran into during the process. I did find this article but my Gcode experience isn’t the greatest and don’t want to mess something up.Using Alternative Slicing Software With The TAZ 6 | LulzBot Could i follow this without running into hiccups? Any insight would be great. Thanks!

To get our latest gcodes we keep them here, resources/gcodes · master · LulzBot 3D / Cura-LE / CuraLE_Sidekick · GitLab NOTE: if you are not using the latest firmware you will need to go back to an older commit to get compatible gcode ( if you are not familiar with how gitlab works let me know what version of firmware you are running and I should be able to help find you a compatible gcode)

#https://gitlab.com/lulzbot3d/cura-le/curale_sidekick/-/blob/master/resources/gcodes/lulzbot_taz6_start.gcode#L10
#this line uses a keyword replacement feature that may not be compatible with other slicers (try replacing with a suitable temp value
M140 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0} ; start bed heating up

We have a couple of these in our start gcode that will need to be replaced when you switch over to a different slicer.

Other than start and end gcode, some other things you might run into are the filament profiles are laid out differently and will require some getting used to. Find a temp tower and some other calibration prints to get your filaments dialed in.

I’m using the latest firmware to my knowledge. I’m also running the M175 Hemera toolhead you guys offer. Idk if that will play a part in it as well. I’m not familiar with Gitlab and help would greatly be appreciated. Is the workhorse and taz 6 gcode close? Prusaslicer has a basic profile in there for Mini and the taz 6. Are those good starting points or will I need to start fresh?. Thanks!

I pointed to the TAZ 6 start gcode because it was mentioned, you can find all of the gcodes we use here resources/gcodes · master · LulzBot 3D / Cura-LE / CuraLE_Sidekick · GitLab

For the workhorse the starting gcodes are similar but definitely have differences, some things to note is that the filenames use the codenames rather than the printers release name ( workhorse = redgum , H175 = perca) so resources/gcodes/lulzbot_redgum_perca_start.gcode · master · LulzBot 3D / Cura-LE / CuraLE_Sidekick · GitLab

I would create a custom fdm printer in prusaslicer with the TAZ Workhorse dimensions ( LulzBot TAZ Workhorse 3D Printer ) in the parts and specifications drop down you will find most of the information you need.

Which gcodes would I need for a TAZ PRO?

Here is my project name decoder

Hibiscus = Mini 2
Redgum = TAZ Workhorse
Quiver = TAZ Pro

cecropia = SE tool head
achemon = SL tool head
goildenrod = HE
banded tiger = HS
dingy cutworm = HS+

Stupid question probably, but what is the designation of the TAZ PRO dual extruder?

I forgot the dual extruders,

Pro Dual extruder = evergreen bagworm
Dual v3 = yellowfin

Since you are just starting the Slic3r journey, you might want to go directly to SuperSlicer. It’s derived FROM Prusa Slicer. All the Voron kids are using it.

I’m on Prusa Slicer, the only reason I don’t change right now is because I have a bunch of profiles which I will need to migrate and test.

1 Like

The whole reason im making the move is because of the new Palette pro 3 on the way. Does the P2PP plug in work with superslicer or only Prusa.

Mmmm, I have no material-changer experience. I’ve heard lots of Discord talk saying that nothing is really removed in SS, just things added. I dunno, you might need to do a little research.

It’s a github project, you should be able to find a forum for a quick answer.

What printer do you use?

I have prusaslicer for the Prusa Mini but I’d like to get my Taz Pro running on PrusaSlicer

Was that question for me? I help maintain the printers at a local makerspace. Taz3, Taz5, 2 x MiniV1, 2 x Prusa Mk2.5S

rhenderson,
I too am looking to use my Lulzbot TAZ Workhorse with Prusaslicer. Surely this is something that a lot of people want to do, right? I feel like Lulzbot fields this question a lot. Why is there a hesitancy to just release Prusaslicer profiles for your printers? Maybe I’m wrong, but it seems like it would only take a few days work on an intern’s part to get them all set up. Am I missing a bigger picture piece of information?

I teach high school computer aided drafting classes, and we print A LOT. We use Autodesk Inventor, and the pan and rotate controls work exactly like Prusaslicer. Cura feels cumbersome and unintuitive after using Inventor’s controls for so long. We have some Lulzbots, and some Prusa printers, and I would love it if my students could just use one piece of software. I’m not into tinkering with 3D printers as much as I’m into making stuff with them, and I’m dreading sitting down and getting all of the settings set up when I already have so much to do. Is there a timeline for Lulzbot to get this done, or is this something that’s just never going to happen?

Thanks for any information you can provide!