Quick question about TAZ environmental considerations...

First, stone cold old fart noob here. ZERO direct 3D print knowledge/experience.

That said, a TAZ6 is on my shortlist of possible printers to scratch my latest itch. I’m curious if such a machine could live in my wood shop/garage next to my Shapeoko CNC/3.8 watt laser, across from the table saw and bandsaw. What I’m saying is, a sometimes dusty place. Can I just blow the dust off and print? Or, do I need to isolate the printer to protect it from dust?

If dust is a problem could I build some sort of positive pressure enclosure that would not affect printing? I’d really prefer to keep it in the garage if at all possible.

Thanks!

The dust is a minor concern, you can most likely deal with it by wiping the bed off, etc. The bigger concern is temperature. A 3d printer works best in about the same ambient room temperature you find in your house. Too cold, and the plastic will either not stick or come loose from the bed, destroying the print. To warm and you get distortion on your prints and possibly control board issues. The easiest way to get around that is to build or buy an enclosure for the printer. If you build your own, know that the control box needs cool air, otherwise you can cook your shiny new printer, and the filament should be stored outside the enclosure as repeated heat cycles can make it brittle over time. Humidity is also an issue for filament quality, in a garage you may need to make a spool holder box with dessecant in it to prevent little “warts” on your parts.

It definitely can be done, but there are considerations to make it work.

Great info, thanks. First step in learning what questions to ask. I’m in SoCal, so it can get a bit hot on occasion. Will start researching temp requirements now. I’d guess type of filament has animpact?

A dramatic impact. The two most common are PLA which is short for Polylactic acid and is made from corn starch, and ABS or Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene which is made of dead dinosaurs. PLA is generally considered easier to print, and is very dependant on fan cooling, but adheres well and usually doesn’t lift. ABS is stronger (well, significantly less brittle anyways) and resists melting at higher temperatures it will tend to lift away from beds easier and split easier. You may have difficulty printing it in a garage, but I find it much more useful. I print mainly in ABS. There are also flexible filaments that result in a rubber like part, filled materials made of wood or stone or metal dust, and newer plastics such as ngen or in nova as well as super high temperature polycarbonate, etc. I started with ABS, but most people start with PLA. A taz uses 3.00mm filament, which is never actually 3.00mm (it’s usually close to 2.85) This is important to know so that you don’t accidentally buy 1.75mm filament, the other common standard.