TAZ 5 FLexyDually Fans Not Running at any speed less than 100%

Hello,

I am a teacher at a middle school and we have a TAZ5. We replaced the hot end with a flexydually a bit ago. We’ve only done a little bit of printing with it, and while trying out some PETG the other day, I realized that the fans on the hot end weren’t running. I was using simplify3d and when I open the machine control panel window, I have found that when I turn the fan speed up, it only goes on once I set it at 100%. Additionally, at 100% the hotend also starts dropping in temperature. Anything less than turned up all the way causes the fan to stop running. I tried incrementally adjusting the fan speed using m106 and it seems as though anything less than 98% isn’t turning it on.

For what it’s worth, the LCD display on the TAZ5 is showing the speed at different %'s. I’ve also tried printing/adjusting the fan speed using CURA and I am finding the same thing.

I’ve searched the forums a bit, but haven’t found anyone with the same problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

The fans used in the Taz 6 (and in this case possibly the Flexydualy) use different voltages than the ones that shipped with the Taz 5. The fix is to edit the firmware with those voltages and settings. My Taz (which is effectivly a modified Taz 5 firmware at this point) has the same issue when running Taz 6 style fans, and I haven’t had a chance to track it down and see what the actual values that need fixed are. There may be an upgraded firmware preset you can take advantage of. The other option is tracking down the old style fans and installing them, but I don’t have one of those to even guess what the make and model info was, plus they stopped using those for a reason.

Any tips or hints of locations to look for this? Would love to get this working as it’s supposed to.

Find a copy of the firmware you are using now and compare it with a copy of the Taz 6 firmware fan PWM settings, and then copy those over and see if it fixes the issue. I need to do the same thing at some point with my setup, but I haven’t gotten around to it yet because I rarely use the fans.