Taz 6. Do i need to ABL every print?

If I am doing lots of small test prints do i really need to ABL every time?

It takes quite a while.

I assume it stores the mesh in memory?

I understand that i would have to be carefull and ensure i do it on normal prints.

I have a Taz 6 with the standard 4 corner bed leveling system. I’ve never tried to bypass the leveling, but I have a friend with a Taz 5 who does not level his very regularly and he seems to get good prints.
Bed leveling should not take very long, maybe a couple of minutes, although I have never timed mine. If its taking more time than that you may have something wrong with your printer.
Are you using Cura from a computer to control your prints or printing directly from an SD card?

Thankyou for the reply.

I am using octoproint with prusaslicer at the moment. It is only approx. 3.5 mins from pressing print for it to begin the job but when doing temperature tests and flow rate tests etc that are only 10 mins long it does add time. Especially when im not touching the bed in-between as such.

Maybe I’m trying to do something that i don’t really need to.

If you disable bed leveling, you may run into offset issues as the TAZ 6 uses that information to calculate how far down to move for the z-offset value.

The TAZ 5 does not use automatic bed leveling, so it will not run through that process.

Thanks. Ill not try it. Not worth screwing it up.

Thanks for your help.

My contrarian 2¢. I run all my Lulzbot printers sans Lulzbot ABL every print. And Taz 6 Zmin and ABL are independently operable processes.

There is a reason that any search for in this forum or online will return a disproportionate number of inquiries about bed leveling problems and whether it’s possible to disable ABL before every print: it’s a fine system when it works, but it’s often unreliable and technically problematic. It was an interesting hack when the mini was under development back in 2014, but more reliable technical solutions have emerged since then. IME over years of running lulzbots, conductive nozzle sensing can actually introduce leveling issues.

Bed leveling is about ensuring the precise spatial relationship between nozzle and bed. Any time that the nozzle and bed are pressing into one another (e.g. less-than-perfect bed leveling, nozzle wiping) you are physically displacing the very mechanical assemblies you are trying to keep precise. So all else being equal, the less often your nozzle and bed are forced to physically touch, the better-off your bed level will be maintained across prints, and the less wear and tear on these assemblies that can lead to increasing mechanical slop over time.

I have a suspicion that ABL+wiping works best for low temp plastics and part production where the same parts are printed in the same material over and over. But I print a lot of different parts in a range of plastics, almost none of which are PLA, so it works best for me to only level when needed, and when I do level to make sure the nozzle is perfectly clean and does not depress the bed at all. Since I do this infrequently, it’s easy to do well. By not running ABL every print my prints start fast, they print consistently, and I spend a ton less time babysitting printers. And for my taz I use a BLTouch and mesh leveling which does work great for ABL, but that’s another screed :wink:

Sorry for the semi-rant, but I wish Lulzbot would do more to help support users who don’t always want to run ABL, rather than claiming that it’s the only way to roll. One of the key benefits of open source hardware and software (which is a huge asset and market differentiator almost completely unexploited by Lulzbot from a brand strategy standpoint, but I digress…) is that users can not only maintain but modify and evolve their printers as technology improves or initial product design choices prove suboptimal over time. Actively helping users route around problem areas like enforced ABL helps make the printer a more useful and reliable tool, which ultimately helps to justify the price premium of owning a Lulzbot in the first place.