My new SL 0.25 tool-head doesn’t extrude.
Initially after fitting it, bringing the hotend to temperature and loading some PLA, I’m able to get it to extrude as you would expect. I can do this either via the controls on the printer or via octoprint or via manually turning the main gear on the tool-head.
The problems begin as soon as I try print anything. First the nozzle cools as it goes through the bed leveling/probing process, when that’s completed and its back up to print temperature, the print begins - the printer does it’s thing, except it no longer extrudes. At this point, depending on how tight the idler assembly is, it has one of two behaviors:
- Clicking as it tries to extrude, the main gear seeming to rock slightly but not advance
- Silent, no movement of the gear, no extrusion
Regardless of what setting the idler assembly is at, it will do one of these two things.
You can see the clicking behavior in this video:
Once its done this, if I abort the print, heat the nozzle again - I can’t extrude by end method (printer interface, octoprint or manually spinning the gear). If I push the idler lever I can extract the filament, if I then power off and on the printer I’m able to “start” again until I get stuck once more when I try to print.
Since then I’ve tried:
- Replacing the stepper motor (no change)
- Reassembling it following the guide checking all the tolerances and looking for anything amiss, I’ve done this at least a dozen times (no change)
- Returning it (nope, ordered before lockdown and by the time I got to test it it was 10 days past the 90 return policy on toolheads)
- Different firmwares Marlin_TAZ6_SmallLayer_22.214.171.124 and 34