Brass thermal threaded inserts, what wattage iron?

I kind of earn a living with my good soldering iron and I want to buy a cheap one just for inserting the little brass inserts into ABS plastic (like the ones used all over my TAZ printer).

Any when I do use my 40w iron it feels like it may be a bit too hot for the ABS as if I move to slow the insert can move all over the place (too much heat) so I was thinking of buying a 25w soldering iron and even shaving down the tip so it’s more like the real tools as sometimes the tapered point gets stuck to the brass and partially pulls it back out.

Anyway I am wondering if 25W would be hot enough to insert them into ABS?

It will work fine, will just be a bit slow to go in. Finding an insert tip to fit the 25 watt ones is difficult since most of them are narrower sockets, but you can just use a point tip instead.

I just use a $4 harbor freight 30 Watt pencil tip iron myself for the last couple years.

Finding an insert tip to fit the 25 watt ones is difficult since most of them are narrower sockets, but you can just use a point tip instead.

I plan on making my own tips. I don’t have a lathe but I have pretty much every other metal working tool available to me.

Thanks

Just to chime in - anything seems to work for me, even 25W irons. You just have to take it slow.