Can you change the filament in the middle of a print?

Guys, probably a stupid question - can I put in a new filament reel in the middle of a print if the old filament reel runs out?

Cheers

Les

Yes.

There is a series of steps which need to be taken to ensure that the print restarts at the same place. Pause the print, raise the Z and replace the filament. This is where it gets tricky, since you’ll need to purge the old filament from the hotend and ensure the new filament is primed. Best place to perform the filament change is in the infill portion of your print… or move the print head to the side. The latter scenario is where its important to ensure the gcode is using absolute coordinates so the print restarts at the same place. Use the pre-set steps in your printer control software to manual move the head consistent distances. Lower the Z by the same amount and resume your print. That’s the simple version of steps…

There’s a thread on this forum with specific steps, I’d also compare to a few sources on the Internet. I’d also practice a few times before attempting on a final print.

Good luck.

Thanks for that, I would only do it as a last resort, but came perilously close on one of my prints - maybe four feet of filament left on the reel.

Cheers

Les

I’ve done it a couple times with Simplify3D. I can pause the print, yank out the old filament, put the new filament on, and resume. ezpz.