Hey everyone, I just finished building my KITTAZ! Yay! The assembly of the kit was mostly painless and I really appreciate the work Lulz did putting together a nice instruction set with well documented parts. I found a few mistakes in the instructions (most of them missing bag numbers) which I decided to write down in the hopes of improving the assembly process for future users. I’m sending it to them but I’m also posting it here and asking if anyone has any comments or improvements they would like to see too. Cool? Cool.
- Placing rod and 608 bearing in idler assembly is quite hard, that is it needs a lot of force to get in place. As the very first step for someone building this thing it really makes you freak out if you’re doing it right. Maybe add a note saying “will require force” or adding a way to do it. I used a clamping wrench with a towel in the end to push it in. (At the end of the build I finally saw the “Tips”, which wasn’t very helpful other than letting me know that the bearings can be crushed).
- Extruder springs are not labelled as such in the baggie, or alternatively the length of the spring is not defined in the components list or instructions.
- Missing 2 M4 nuts in components list used in step 1.
- Bed corner “posts” are never defined as M3 x 12 screws inserted from the back end, and the pictures don’t show the screw heads until later to be able to figure it out. Calling them “posts” when there is no such part is confusing.
- As in part 1 the extruder springs are not labelled as such in the baggie, or alternatively the length of the spring is not defined in the components list or instructions. Yes there is only one of the other kind but the instructions identify them as “extruder (bed) springs” as if they are different from those used in the extruder in part 1.
- Belt mount step does not mention using M3 washers which are used in the picture.
- I found that using a rubber spatula was not the best way to install the PET tape, especially when an ideal tool is not provided. A plastic tool can be rough and detrimental if not new or done properly. Instead using a wet paper towel over the tape as it is rolled on is much more effective, delicate, and again more useful without a provided tool.
- M5 Washers in components list missing bag name (B13)
- Double tapped extrusions (step 1) in components list do not mention location despite them having a perfectly good identifier sticker (I3). May be confusing since there are several 500 mm extrusions, and since you already went through the trouble of separating them and putting a sticker on them.
- Y end sub assembly (step 2) instructions mention “if needed”. Someone building this for the first time does not know if it is needed.
- Idler part is missing from components list (location A1)
- M8 Washer missing bag name in components list (B18)
- M8 x 35 missing bag name in components list (B19)
- M8 nylock nut missing from components list (B17)
(parts note - recessed area in side of Y-end idler makes it hard to get a wrench in to hold nylock nut)
- Y Motor Mount missing from components list (A1)
- Wire zip ties missing bag name in components list (C6)
- Rods missing sticker label in components list (I4)
- In “Install CB XZ Harness”" section, instruction to install X-motor cable is missing but shown in picture, instead it says “pull wires out of the way”.
- Plug cover missing bag number in components list (A8)
- Missing mention of M2 screws and washers in components list (B3)
- Untapped extrusions missing label in components list (I1)
- Y mount chassis missing bag label in components list (A1)
- In “Install Y mount chassis onto extrusions” step I suggest an instruction of rubbing the Y mount chassis on the extrusion slot back and forth until the piece starts to slide freely. The printed parts do not fit well as they are.
- Tapped one end extrusions missing label in components list (I2)
- In “Install Feed tube holder” step, the installed picture shows the holder much farther than 20 mm from the edge. In later pictures it’s seen placed at about 70 mm.
- In “Install Spool Arm” step it says to place arm at 190 mm, however it doesn’t say which point of the arm is to be measured from, since it has many curves.
- Electronics Case Mount missing from components list (A8)
- Z Nut Mount not specified in components list (A5)
- Lead Screw Nut not specified in components list (C4)
- Installation of Lead Screw Nut to Z Nut Mount completely omitted from instructions
- This “Part” is the length of all previous parts combined. Consider splitting it up.
- Z Adjustment Spring missing from components list (B20), also not clear from instructions which sprint length it is. Bag does not denote it as “Z Adjustment Spring”
- No pictures for “Use the provided 2 zip ties to secure one end of the PTFE feed tube to the Feed Tube Spinner and install it onto the Feed Tube Mount.” Not clear what to do in this step.
- Instructions for “Installation of Electronics case” does not mention installing shims. These are only visible in the pictures.
- On “Install Y Axis”, the step “Put 4x rubber feet on the Y axis as shown.” is not visually shown.