Differing machine speeds

I have 2 TAZ 5’s. One bought about a year ago and one bought about a month ago. Both are running identical firmware, the CURA settings are the same, and the parameters I read from the LCD for the motion control are the same (eSteps are slighty different). They have identical HW mods (a servo mounted z-probe and a filament runout sensor). But they run at different speeds. The newer TAZ completes a 25 point leveling sequence in 85 seconds. The older TAZ requires about 160 seconds to do the same thing. I though that the microstepping might be different, but then I would expect one machine would produce half height objects and it doesn’t. It’s just slower.

Any idea what could be going on?

Are the power supplies identical? If the motors have higher available voltage, they might maybe move faster through the same operations? Otherwise i can’t think of anything other than the firmware is not identical, or the leveling code is not identical. If the pulleys were different size with identical firmware you would get different size parts. Same with different motor stepping. The Rambo boards are identical, there are no stepping jumpers.

Are they being ran from the SD card or two different computers? If its different computers is the baud rate different by any chance?

After some testing I think I identified the problem. The machines have differing z-heights set in the eprom. The slower machine has z Offset set to 0. The faster machine has z Offset set to -3.5. So the slower machine spends more time slowly lowering the probe. With 25 points to probe, the time adds up. Can anybody tell me what the z Offset setting in eprom does? Where is it used? Are all gcode commands offset by this amount?

I’m probably going to reduce the number of probe points to 9 in any case as 25 is overkill, but it would be good to know.