eSun Wood

I picked up some eSun 3mm wood 3D filament to try on my Taz 5. I decided to do some test prints with Rocktopus and immediately experienced stringiness with eventually the filament being chewed.

Using the eSun PLA profile (as the eSun wood is PLA based), I went into expert mode and began systematically adjusting various settings to see if I could mitigate the issues (including adjusting nozzle temp, thumbscrew tension, etc.) All with varying degrees of success.

I was wondering if anyone else has had a chance to use this filament and could pass on any suggestions.



What temperature have you tried? Esun recommends a lower temperature than for normal pla. Normal pla is between 190-230°, wood is 190-200°. I would choose 195°for first tests.

I have tried from 195 up to 220. 210 seems to work best (lower temps clog quickly).

Posters in other forums seem to indicate that stringiness is common with this filament (and the Colorfabb woodfill, too.). I may have to accept its stringy nature.

I am still working on the filament getting chewed sometimes problem. Seems that this filament needs to keep flowing so as to not clog. Plus I guess running at a higher temperature I may have heat creep.

Regardless, when I do get a good print, it can be sanded to a nice look.

I think you are right, it wants a little bit of rework. Here are some hints how to proceed, the parts look realy good after it:

Thanks for the link. This filament definitely needs to be watched closely while printing.

The objects that I print are scans of fossils and come out a little nicer with the wood than the Rocktopus. I don’t have as much stringiness due to the model structural differences. So, I have been adjusting the TAZ 5 settings for what I typically print and it seems to be OK.

When I get a good print, I’ll post a before sanding picture and an after prep picture.

Here are a few pictures of a quickly printed dinosaur toe bone:

A little sanding and staining:

And compared to “real” fossil material from Montana:

Btw, here is what the Rocktopus looked like at the same print settings: