Recommended settings for eSun PLA+?

Hello all,

I’m a new owner of a Lulzbot Taz 6, and have not previously had any experience with 3D printing.

I’m mainly using my Taz 6 for prototyping parts before sending them off to the machine shop, and for just making useful items around the house. I had purchased a spool of white eSun PLA+ because reviews said it was decent, and it had a nice price point. My first prints using the Taz 6 were of a part that I previously had machined out of stainless steel. I printed the same part using the nGen sample filament out of the box and the eSun PLA+. I have to say, the dimensions of the nGen print were very close to the machined stainless steel, but the eSun PLA+ printed dimensions were definitely not very tight.

I was wondering if anyone here has any recommendations on what settings to use for the eSun PLA+. I plan to experiment with settings too, but I figured I would post on the board to see if anyone has any suggestions.

Alternatively, I’d love to hear which PLA filament people have had success with, on the Taz 6.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

• Adam

Attached are a good starting point for the PLA+ that I use. I change them a little here and there depending upon the part, but these should get you started.
eSun PLA+.ini (13.3 KB)

Just a couple of suggestions that may have been overlooked if you’re new - good e-steps calibration and accurate measurement of the filament are vital to getting tight tolerances.

Shrinkage is also really quite varying between different materials and differing atmospheric conditions and you will find you sometimes have to make size compensations in your model to get things to size.

Round holes always seem to need size compensation, from my experience they always seem to draw inwards when cooling.

Thanks for the two replies! I’ve been sticking with nGen because I get nicer prints using it. Hopefully, I’ll get a chance sometime soon to try the suggestions/starting points you’ve offered. :smiley: