firmware upload problems

Greetings,
I bought I kittaz and am nearly done with the build (just waiting for bag B16), however I though I would go ahead and upload the firmware just to get a jump on it. however when I completed all of the steps in the OHAI guide, I was met with this message after telling Arduino to upload:
avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
I can not get Cura to communicate with the printer so I am assuming something is wrong. any suggestions?
peace,
Jeff

greetings,
ok so now it is saying:

const u8g_fntpgm_uint8_t u8g_font_6x9[2300] U8G_SECTION(".progmem.u8g_font_6x9") = {

is wrong somehow, it says:

In file included from /dogm_lcd_implementation.h:38,
from ultralcd.cpp:36:
dogm_font_data_marlin.h:13: error: ‘u8g_fntpgm_uint8_t’ does not name a type
dogm_font_data_marlin.h:172: error: ‘u8g_fntpgm_uint8_t’ does not name a type
In file included from /dogm_lcd_implementation.h:40,
ultralcd_st7920_u8glib_rrd.h:43: error: ‘u8g_t’ was not declared in this scope
ultralcd_st7920_u8glib_rrd.h:43: error: ‘u8g’ was not declared in this scope
ultralcd_st7920_u8glib_rrd.h:43: error: ‘u8g_dev_t’ was not declared in this scope
ultralcd_st7920_u8glib_rrd.h:43: error: ‘dev’ was not declared in this scope
ultralcd_st7920_u8glib_rrd.h:43: error: expected primary-expression before ‘msg’
ultralcd_st7920_u8glib_rrd.h:43: error: expected primary-expression before ‘void’
ultralcd_st7920_u8glib_rrd.h:43: error: initializer expression list treated as compound expression
ultralcd_st7920_u8glib_rrd.h:44: error: expected ‘,’ or ‘;’ before ‘{’ token
In file included from /dogm_lcd_implementation.h:38,
dogm_font_data_marlin.h:13: error: ‘u8g_fntpgm_uint8_t’ does not name a type
dogm_font_data_marlin.h:172: error: ‘u8g_fntpgm_uint8_t’ does not name a type
In file included from /dogm_lcd_implementation.h:40,
ultralcd_st7920_u8glib_rrd.h:43: error: ‘u8g_t’ was not declared in this scope
ultralcd_st7920_u8glib_rrd.h:43: error: ‘u8g’ was not declared in this scope
ultralcd_st7920_u8glib_rrd.h:43: error: ‘u8g_dev_t’ was not declared in this scope
ultralcd_st7920_u8glib_rrd.h:43: error: ‘dev’ was not declared in this scope
ultralcd_st7920_u8glib_rrd.h:43: error: expected primary-expression before ‘msg’
ultralcd_st7920_u8glib_rrd.h:43: error: expected primary-expression before ‘void’
ultralcd_st7920_u8glib_rrd.h:43: error: initializer expression list treated as compound expression
ultralcd_st7920_u8glib_rrd.h:44: error: expected ‘,’ or ‘;’ before ‘{’ token

and directs me to the line I pasted at the beginning.

ok it finally compiles, I got some amazing help from a friend who codes in C and from the #reprap channel on freenode. I just needed to import the #include <U8glib.h> library and it compiles now!
edit: now all i have to do is flash it onto the board! woot!

Using the TAZ Single Extruder Tool Head v2 link to “Source”, I also had compilation errors in Marlin_2015Q1_TAZ5 related to U8glib. After downloading U8glib for Arduino and installing it in the Arduino library directory, I got a clean compilation with Arduino version 1.0.5 R2.

Many thanks to Lulzbot for making the new tool head available for my Taz 4.

One more thing. Is the Marlin file for the “TAZ Single Extruder Tool Head v2” Marlin_fangtooth_taz_3.1? Configuration.h shows steps for Z as 800. Wasn’t the Taz 4 Z 1600? I’m getting parts 2x as tall.

The link you followed from the FangTooth product listing should now have a few files labeled for the TAZ4.

I am getting a time out error that seems similar to the OP’s on my KITTAZ:

Binary sketch size: 131,400 bytes (of a 258,048 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

I recopied the U8glib folder but still same error :question:

It looks like the OP issue is resolved but I don’t see the resolution in this post?

edit: found my problem after checking over everything. apparently my power supply was bad out of the box. RMA submitted and successful upload afterwards.

This is a reasonably common Arduino communication error. It happens for a number of reasons. There is/was a bug that a sequence of 3 “!” characters would cause it. Repeater and Marlin firmware have had this issue at one time or another.

You didn’t say, what host OS are you on? I see this regularly on Mac OS X and it has to do with the USB port not being freed properly. In most cases I can quite the Arduino IDE and restart and it works. Make sure you have the correct board (Arduino Mega 2560 for RAMBo) and communication speed set. If that doesn’t work, change USB ports on the computer and if that doesn’t work, a reboot has always solved the problem.

EDIT: also forgot to ask, has this ever worked for you? If not, you may need to install or reinstall the driver (Windows/Linux, I don’t recall that Mac needed a driver install).

The printer does need to be powered on when uploading the firmware. Other things to check are: Proper board selection and serial port.

it all works now, turned out the power supply was faulty and that was why I kept getting the timeout error. Lulzbot sent a replacement power supply out right away and the firmware uploaded up quickly and nicely. now I’m dealing with other issues, but tinkering and patience fixes most things. :smiley: