First dual extrusion print from a Cyclops hot end and BondTech QR extruders

Wow, impressive, nice work on the project!

Yeah, it is a process but now that I have it nailed I’ll be able to do some cool stuff. The weak link now is the slicing software. I have to do some CAD/design tricks to pull this off. None of the slicers can do what I really want and even this print was a compromise from what I really would like, but it isn’t bad!

Would you mind sharing your hot end mount files with us? I really like this setup and have been considering going to a bowden style setup soon.

Happy to. They aren’t complete since I haven’t added a part cooling fan capability yet. But here’s what I have so far…
TAZ_Cyclops_Mount.stl (108 KB)

I need to give this a go too. I’m hoping to get another machine as to have 1 for experimenting with and 1 to ensure I always have a working machine.

By the way, this mount will work with both Cyclops and Chimera as they share the same cold end.

Where / how did you get the bowden adaptor for the QR. I have been looking at these for a bit and see that the adapter is not available…

I bought it with the QR. What’s the issue? If you can’t find the adapter, you can simply turn the extruder upside down. Martin just published an STL for a fitting for the infeed side when you do this to direct the filament in.

http://shop.bondtech.se/ec/components/

Scroll down to the bottom of the page. They have both the 3mm and 1.75mm versions in stock.

Found it! Sorry, I was looking at the re seller page.

Could you share your repetier firmware?

config.json.txt (14.3 KB)
Remove the .txt extension. The .json file can be imported into the repetier online configuration tool (which you should learn how to use) so you can tweak things for your setup.

Excellent. I know the config utility well. Just figured why search through my current firmware for numbers if someone already did it…

Are you actually using Jam detection?

Also, how good are these PID settings? I’m using the same sensors.

No, is that configured in this file?

There are values entered and I don’t see a tic to enable it, which probably means anything other than 0 means it’s active.

PID settings also look very wrong for the heated bed (assuming you are using the stock heater/glass.

This is from the Marlin firmware - and is pretty good

#ifdef PIDTEMPBED
//24V 360W silicone heater from NPH on 3mm borosilicate (TAZ 2.2+)
    #define  DEFAULT_bedKp 162
    #define  DEFAULT_bedKi 17
    #define  DEFAULT_bedKd 378

Sorry! False alarm! It gets disabled in the extruder settings.

Great. I can’t imagine the QRs jamming! I’ve had more success with these extruders (now on 4 of my printers and working to print mounts for the remaining 2) than any other. Not a single jam or even close yet. And the Cyclops is a difficult hot end to push filament through.

I’m going for basically the same setup as you for the taz. Minus z probe and I’m buying the hardware kit for the extruders and I’ll print my own plastic bits.

What I need is a reliable dual hot end. My research has shown the bondtech extruders are the best, most reliable design.

Did you see my note about your pid settings?

I’m going for basically the same setup as you for the taz. Minus z probe and I’m buying the hardware kit for the extruders and I’ll print my own plastic bits.

What I need is a reliable dual hot end. My research has shown the bondtech extruders are the best, most reliable design.

Did you see my note about your pid settings?

Hmm. I am using the stock heater. I do have a sheet of PEI. I did not retune it but the bed seems stable enough.