Hemera on TAZ 5

Does anyone have information about using a Hemera on a TAZ 5?

I have a TAZ 5 that I bought in 2016. With some maintenance, a few upgrades like an Aerostruder and several new heaters, fans, thermistors and the like It’s been running an average of 5 hours a day for about 6 years.

I bought a second (defunct) old TAZ and upgraded it to TAZ 5 with new leadscrews, bushings, another Aersotruder and numerous homebrew mods but I wanted to be able to use 1.75mm filament as there is so much more available. (I will eventually move both printers to 1.75mm) To that end, I decided to buy a Hemera but after I put it together I had a hard time getting the extrusion volume correct. It grossly under-extruded. I couldn’t find much about this kind of upgrade on-line. It seems like the oldest TAZ that can use the Hemera is the TAZ 6.

But I didn’t give up. I found that if I kept using the Aerostruder printer profile as if I was using 2.85mm filament and increased the extrusion multiplier, the prints got better but I didn’t want to have to remember to set the multiplier for every print so I tinkered with the esteps until I got good prints. The observed esteps are 398 but the prints are terrible. After much experimentation I found that if I changed the esteps to 996 I got excellent prints.

I found that If I changed the printer profile to 1.75mm filament I lost all the material profiles. Keeping the 2.85mm filament diameter had the added advantage of not losing all the material profiles in Cura when changing from 2.85mm to 1.75mm.

The solution works but is not the right way to do it does anybody out there know a better way to do it?

Im only good for reading one paragraph ADHD. I have 2 hemera setups one for each printer. Pretty much only use them. My setup H175 firmware. Then just calibrate esteps. The only pain is sometimes feeding new filament into the extruder. Hope that helps

If you built a H175 toolhead, use that profile and just copy the data for the filaments you’re doing over.

So long as you’re not doing any exotic filaments, the generic profiles are a good enough starting point that doing some temperature/speed/cooling towers should get you set. I’ve seen great variation with flexible filaments, but most everything else you’re going to want to fine tune with tests anyway, so having exact profiles usually isn’t as useful as you’d think.

I have a Hemera on a TAZ 5. Best solution I found was to set up a new printer profile and treat it as a separate printer, then build a new set of material profiles for 1.75mm filament. A bit of mucking about but really only 20 minutes or so. When I swap print heads I change the E-steps (sorry I can’t give you the figure, I’m not where the printer is right now) and adjust Z-stop. This solution works 100%, subject to the usual Cura idiosyncrasies. Easy and safe going from 2.85 to 1.75 (Hemera nozzle sits slightly higher) but you need to be careful going the other way or you crash into the bed. I printed a couple of fan ducts before I got one I liked. The one that fits in front of the nozzle blocks the view so I found one where the radial fan sits a bit higher and at 45 degrees and it goes around both sides of the nozzle. Hemera is a big improvement especially on anything needing retractions

Thank you to mbur371189, Wrathernaut and Chipwidget. I must have missed the Hemera1.75 profile when I installed the Hemera and went to “Add Printer” in Cura the only toolhead for 1.75mm was “M175|0.50|Carbide Coated Copper”. I assumed so I stayed with the Aerostruder settings and wound up having to play with the esteps to get a reasonably good print. After reading the replies tonite I gave the M175 tool head setting a try even though the Nozzle is not Carbide Coated Copper. After calibrating the esteps using the M175 setting I’m getting high quality prints. Thanks for your time and advice . Problem solved.