Ever since we deployed our TAZ 3 we’ve had issues with heat creep with PLA on certain builds. Basically the heat creeps up the 3mm filament and softens it inside the section of the Budaschnozzle where the PTFE tube runs through the heat sinks. As the hobbed bolt applies downward pressure on the filament, it expands inside the PTFE tube and gets stuck, and stops extruding. Then the hobbed bolt does its familiar half moon chunk carved into the filament and the build is failed.
When AO came out with fan kits for the TAZ, we were really happy, but the duct only blows onto the build. This improves build quality and bridge capability, but fails to address the heat creep issue. We set about redesigning the duct so that it splits the airflow to both the build and to the fins of the Budaschnozzle.
Here’s the link to the design files on Thingiverse:
Now that we’ve gotten over 30 or so hours of build time with PLA with zero extrusion issues, we’d like to share this with the rest of the TAZ community.