Install Cura LulzBot Edition on Ubuntu 22

I had some issues installing Cura LE 3.6.37 on Ubuntu 22.04 using the deb file on the download page. After finding nothing on Google, I looked into it. Turns out the developers are depending on an old package that is no longer available in Ubuntu 22.04. Luckily, there’s a replacement that seems to work. You just have to change the dependency in the deb file. Here’s how you do it:

1. Download the deb file for Debian 11 on the download https://gitlab.com/lulzbot3d/cura-le/release/-/raw/master/cura-lulzbot-3.6.37-deb11-Linux.deb
  2. Navigate to the file in a terminal and unpack the deb file: ar x cura-lulzbot-3.6.37-deb11-Linux.deb. You will see a few files: control.tar.xz, data.tar.xz and debian-binary.
  3. Update the dependencies in control.tar.xz/control: vim control.tar.xz select control, and change libssl1.1 to libssl3. Save the file.
  4. Repack the deb file: ar rcs cura-fixed.deb debian-binary control.tar.xz data.tar.xz
  5. Install the deb file: sudo apt install ./cura-fixed.deb
  6. Run cura-le: cura-lulzbot

I assume this will work on other distros with this problem, but YMMV.

2 Likes

Just confirmed this works on Ubuntu 22.04 running the 5.19.0-42-generic (64-bit) kernel. Thanks so much!