Ubuntu 'Disco' ( 19.04 ) install failing

Hi everyone, I’m trying to use the instructions here :

https://www.lulzbot.com/learn/tutorials/cura-lulzbot-edition-installation-ubuntu#

to install Cura LE on Ubuntu 19.04. Both the ‘manual’ and package based installs are failing.

The manual install fails with :

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
cura-lulzbot : Depends: libssl1.0.0 but it is not installable
Depends: libpng12-0 but it is not installable
Depends: libreadline6 but it is not installable

The deb package install fails with :

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of cura-lulzbot:
cura-lulzbot depends on libgl1-mesa-glx; however:
Package libgl1-mesa-glx is not installed.
cura-lulzbot depends on libtinfo5; however:
Package libtinfo5 is not installed.
cura-lulzbot depends on libreadline7; however:
Package libreadline7 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package cura-lulzbot (–install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.32.0-1ubuntu1) …
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.23-4ubuntu1) …
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.60ubuntu1) …
Errors were encountered while processing:
cura-lulzbot

Interesting that the deb package seems to have different dependency problems, but in any event I’m not sure how to fix this. The distro appears to offer libreadline 5 or libreadline 8, but not 6 or 7. libgl1-mesa-glx is an empty metapackage, and libtinfo5 is described as ‘legacy’. libssl 1.0 is not available, only 1.1, libpng is installed but at version 16, not 12 ( 12 is not available ). Is Cura LE actually being maintained for Ubuntu ? If so, is there a github I can go to for an up to date version ?

i’m having a similar problem with ubuntu eoan, but it’s just limited to libreadline7. i haven’t been able to find a backport of that library to make this work.

LSB Version:    core-11.0.1ubuntu1-noarch:printing-11.0.1ubuntu1-noarch:security-11.0.1ubuntu1-noarch
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu 19.10
Release:        19.10
Codename:       eoan



sudo dpkg -i ./cura-lulzbot_3.6.21_amd64.deb                                                                                                                                                                                              2 ↵
(Reading database ... 274671 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../cura-lulzbot_3.6.21_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking cura-lulzbot (3.6.21) over (3.6.21) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of cura-lulzbot:
 cura-lulzbot depends on libreadline7; however:
  Package libreadline7 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package cura-lulzbot (--install):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.24-1ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.63ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.32.0-1ubuntu1) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 cura-lulzbot

I’m having the same issue.

Perhaps releasing Cura LE as a snap would be a way forward…?

OK, finally got around to fixing this, but some strangeness still apparent.

I went to packages.debian.org, and downloaded the ‘buster’ stable versions of the missing dependencies and installed them :

libgl1-mesa-glx_18.3.6-2_amd64.deb
libtinfo5_6.1+20181013-2+deb10u2_amd64.deb
libreadline7_7.0-5_amd64.deb

Then I went to the link I had used originally to get Cura back in October. However, that link now looks a bit different, and downloads cura-lulzbot_3.2.21_amd64.deb instead of cura-lulzbot_3.6.21_amd64.deb, which is what I was trying in October.

Before running the install for the deb files mentioned above, I tried to install the 3.2.21 Cura. But trying this fails with even more missing dependencies :

Unpacking cura-lulzbot (3.2.21) …
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of cura-lulzbot:
cura-lulzbot depends on libgl1-mesa-glx; however:
Package libgl1-mesa-glx is not installed.
cura-lulzbot depends on libssl1.0.2 | libssl1.0.0; however:
Package libssl1.0.2 is not installed.
Package libssl1.0.0 is not installed.
cura-lulzbot depends on libtinfo5; however:
Package libtinfo5 is not installed.
cura-lulzbot depends on libreadline6 | libreadline7; however:
Package libreadline6 is not installed.
Package libreadline7 is not installed.
cura-lulzbot depends on libgfortran3; however:
Package libgfortran3 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package cura-lulzbot (–install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.24-1ubuntu1) …
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.63ubuntu1) …
Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.32.0-1ubuntu1) …
Errors were encountered while processing:
cura-lulzbot

Fortunately I still have the 3.6.21 deb file I was trying in October, so now I install the dependencies :

sudo dpkg -i libgl1-mesa-glx_18.3.6-2_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i libtinfo5_6.1+20181013-2+deb10u2_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i libreadline7_7.0-5_amd64.deb

and the 3.6.21 install works fine. I can now start up cura, and so far all seems well. But the business about reverting the cura version available to download to an older and even more broken one is very peculiar.