Longevity of Taz Stepper Motors

Just curious if we have some long term TAZ users who have been printing a good amount monthly that can tell us about the reliability of the stepper motors. I was thinking today that on most larger prints i do these motors are really put to work and I was wondering how long these things can generally take the abuse? I know they are cheap to replace so cost is not the issue. I am just curious when I will more than likely see something stop working.

Thanks.

Chris

I killed an AO-100 stepper motor after a couple years of use on the Y Axis. There have been a few motors, mainly confined to the Mini that had bad motor shafts and snapped early that were replaced under warranty (leading theory is the motor shafts didn’t get their final heat treatment before installation into the motors" but those have been fairly rare. Aside from that they seem pretty robust. having a spare one on hand certanly doesn’t hurt though.

Slightly off topic but I have a rattle coming from my Z motor. I caused it by trying to get my Z to go too low and it ground/juddered, it doesn’t seem to be affecting performance at all but it does make a noise going up and down.

The Y axis stepper failed on my TAZ 4 after 2400 hours of printing. One of the stepper’s two internal bearings failed and seized. It is cheap, quick and easy to replace. The one wrinkle is that the replacement does not come with the molex connector.

I am on my 4th year of printing on 2 machines at around 20-30 hours of printing a week. I have had my fair share of failures but stepper motors is not one of them. I have gone through 4 hotends (about 1 a year) 2 sets of gears, lots of linear bearings (mostly upgrades) 3 power supplies (my first printer came with a woefully underpowered supply and my TAZ supply died in it’s first week). Around 6 bed glasses (most my fault), wiring issues (breaking due to movement at stress points) and 1 end stop switch. But no motors yet.

I believe if they are going to fail, they tend to do it shortly after you get them(kind of like the break-in period.). So you will probably not seen a motor fail but more material failures (aka - bearing, gears, and cables) first/more.