I picked up a new-to-me Mini1 not too long ago. It otherwise prints beautifully, PETg is my main filament, and compared to other priners I’ve used this has been an absolute dream.
I do however, seem to have some strange first layer problems. Namely, even though autocalibration succeeds, I see some areas of the bed with great adhesion and others with less great. See photo for an example of this with a really large flat part. I’ve pretty much seen this on all parts to varying degrees, both with PLA and PETg, both using the stock Cura profiles for them. It was never an issue until now, where I’m printing really large base parts and the lack of adhesion is causing curling with PETg.
Since I’m new to this printer but the printer is not new, I’m not sure which of these is normal. Everything is “stock” as far as I can tell that lines up with late model Mini1’s. I’m using Cura Lulzbot, with the “experimental” Chroma Strand INOVA-2008 PETg. I have an added LCD interface as well.
- Uneven first layer width (see photo). To the point that some strands are squished really heavily, while others are not touching their neighbors.
- Curling of really just one specific corner.
- Zprobe offset is set to -1.55 mm, which seems like it should be outside of spec. If I move closer to the stock -1.35 mm then nearly none of the strands connect. In fact, at -1.50 mm this starts to happen (see photo of partial print).
- Even when using some bits of PLA, I had similar first layer issues (see rocktopus photo).
- As the bed moves forward and back across the Y rails, the edges have a bit of a wobble when I touch them which this changes as the bed moves up and down the Y. For example, at the Y+ position (bed forward) I can push down on the Y+ leveling washers and the bed will rattle up and down quite easily. At the Y0 bed position, the bed rocks on the X+ leveling washers when I push down. And at the Y- position (bed rear), I can lift up on the Y+ leveling washers to have the same rattle. All of these are not just material flex, there is an actual mechanical rattle of the bushings breaking and making contact with the slide rails. I would think this is accounted for in calibration, but I’m not sure if it would be tightened up if any of those were replaced.
- I don’t see the same kind of rattle on the X slides anywhere along the path.
- During calibration, the nozzle seems to be off in the location of the Y- washers. For the Y+ washers, the nozzle touches off about 3/4 radius of the washer. On the Y- washers however it seems to touch off very close to the full radius of the washer. From what I can see, it looks like it is making solid contact with the Y- wahsers and the end of the nozzle.
- Nozzle is a little grimey, but its cleaned up as best as it can be. I see no bed distortion when it is calibrating.
- The rest of the layers are fine. The top layer finish on this thing is the best I’ve ever seen from a 3D printer. It has a slight ripple so may a little overextrusion, but definitely not under.
I’m able to take more photos or provide any other details. It would be nice to resolve this. Thanks for any help!
[Guitar pick in photos to help camera focus better.]