Mini, Raspberry Pi 2, Octopi, Octoprint, Cura – Help?

I have a Mini and have been able to get Cura to produce some decent prints, but I don’t like it to be tethered to my laptop. So I bought a Raspberry Pi 2.

I downloaded Octopi 0.12 from http://octoprint.org/download/
It has OctoPrint 1.2.10 and CuraEngine 15.04

I configured the network settings and I can see it from my laptop. I was able to drag a file over and it appeared to have worked correctly.

I have not connected it to my Mini yet as I want to be sure it doesn’t cause something to not work correctly and wreck the bed or worse.

I’m not a software guy, but I should be able to figure this out. However, I can’t figure out how to get my Cura profiles to come across, or machine settings.

I used CoParaTech’s settings I found here: https://forum.lulzbot.com/t/octoprint-lulzbot-mini-printer-profile/3136/1

How do I get my Cura .ini profiles over to the Raspberry Pi 2? I found I can go to OctoPrint Settings, and under the CuraEngine (<=15.04) there is a button named “Import Profile…”. I can get the file across, but I think it won’t work because my laptop version of Cura is 17.10.

Do I need to download an older version of Cura in order to use my settings I have refined in Cura 17.10? Or is there another way to do this? I didn’t make a lot of changes to the settings, but I did change enough things I don’t want to start over if I don’t have to.

Do the Start and End gcodes come across with the ini file?

Thanks for any help!

Personally I slice locally then drag the g-code to Octoprint. There are too many slicing settings to manage to get good prints… infill, supports, flow %… etc.

The Cura engine on Octoprint will never be “current” with the latest release version.

I agree.
I use Cura on my Windoze machine and then save the gcode to the PC. Then just drag and drop the gcode file over to Octoprint.

You don’t need the ini info in Octoprint, as Cura sets that up automagically in the gcode file.

Hit print and away you go!

If you don’t have one already, I would recommend getting a Raspberry Pi camera, or other webcam, so you can keep tabs on the print without having to be at the printer all the time. Support for the RPI camera is nicely built into Octoprint. I printed an RPI case and then printed a camera case that I mounted to the roof of the printer.

On long prints, I open a port on my router and can watch the progress from the internet.

Best,
Kent

+1 on slicing on PC

I do all the slicing with Cura (sometimes slic3r) on my MacBook, and have a 5MP Pi camera running on a Raspberry Pi model B+ (not even a Model 2) under OctoPi. It is easier to manage the models and slic3r / Cura configs on the laptop. I’ve uninstalled the Cura plugins on the OctoPi Pi, even.

Now I made a SSB (Single-site browser) to OctoPi (on OS X, one way to do this is to use the Fluid.app). It works similarly as saving a web app shortcut on smartphone / tablet. It is like I have a dedicated app for my Lulzbot Mini. As @akent mentioned, you can just drag-and-drop a sliced .gcode onto the OctoPi webpage/webapp-- love this little feature. The Pi driving my Mini is bulletproof and has never been the source of any issues.

Thanks guys! I’ll just keep what I have on my laptop and save the g-code and send that to the pi.
I do plan to get the camera, and I’m sure I’ll need your help setting it up so I can log into it using my phone. It sounds like a very neat feature, and it probably could have saved me some grief the other day when I thought “I should have used a brim” and when I got back from helping my neighbor I found it had wiped the print bed of parts and was making a nice mess. I thought about checking it, but I had no way at the time.
Time to connect the pi to the mini and give it a whirl!

The camera is more or less plug and play. Its great for monitoring. Over the last year-plus of owning the TAZ, I’ve “remotely” printed 98% of my 20+ spools of filament… no fumes, no noise… just watch the webcam.

Get a USB camera… the RPi camera uses a ribbon cable which can be limiting. I’ve got a Logitech C270(?) which is under $30 with a 2-3’ long USB cable.

Just out of curiosity, why didn’t get you a RasPi 3 instead? Same price nowadays it seems. Thats what I’m running my Octoprint on with my Mini.

No particular reason for not getting a pi 3. I bought a pi 2 in a kit as I had read that others were using pi 2 with a Mini. At the time, I didn’t know if the 3 would work the same or not.