Here is a .08 layer print using a .25 nozzle I just finished. sliced and printed with Cura. I am very happy with the results!
The total height is 1", diameter is 19/32". The print was 317 layers printed in just over 1 hour.
Here’s the next item I’m working on. It’s a 1/6 scale model of the wheel on the F4U Corsair WWII fighter. This is the CAD and a printout of the front half of the wheel. Again, done at .08mm layer height. This was a bit over 12 hrs to print. I’m running a print of the full wheel. It should be done about the time I get home from work tomorrow.
Well, after 31 1/2 hours of print, and about 20 minutes before it was completed, I decided to get ready to take a video. I brought in a light and plugged it into the same (non surge protected) power strip, and when I did, the print stopped! I forgot how people have talked about power issues causing failed prints. Gotta learn some way.
I think there’s another UPS in my future.
Detail is my primary goal. I’m willing to spend the time to get it. Even at that, it’s still lightning fast compared to standing in front of a manual lathe/mill like I did for the first version of this wheel. That took something like a month and a half. Now I can do any size, and make modifications at will.
There was very little cleanup needed on the faces as they were the tops of their prints. The inside of the wheel had a lot of support material to clean out and is a bit rougher. I had tried printing the wheel all at once, but there were two problems with this approach. First, there was a lot of heat buildup on the bottom face which distorted the center hub. Second, the support material left a rough surface that would have been difficult to really clean. As for oozing, I have not been experiencing a problem with it. I’ve managed to get the settings dialed in pretty good. The only issue I have is making sure the z stop is set properly for each print. With a gap of about .07mm, there’s enough variation from print to print to require a quick test to make a fine adjustment before almost every print. If the gap is too low, it’s murder getting the part off the buildplate. If it’s too great, I get a poor first layer with some of the print not sticking.
On cleanup, I did try soda blasting. The effects were very light, but did get rid of the finest of strings.
I too am looking to make some small and high detail parts. I’m considering changing to a .25 nozzle. If I do this, will I need to change to 1.75mm filament? Curious what you’ve learned that might save me some headaches. I’m pretty new at this.
You need to find a .25mm with a 3mm ID.
This is the one I got.
Here’s my Cura profile. It is for the Taz 5, so you may need to make the changes needed for the Mini. At least you can open the file in a notepad and see how I set them. It is critical to get your z stop set perfectly to get good bed adhesion. If the first layer isn’t printing perfectly, stop, make minor adjustments and restart. You shouldn’t have any leveling issues with the Mini. On the TAZ 5, leveling is also critical to get right. Print speeds are slow, so it is possible to get some heat buildup. I actually use some fan when printing at this resolution. It seems to help avoid distortions. Just be careful that you don’t over do the fan and end up with layer separation.
Hope this all helps.