nGen heat stability?

I’m seriously thinking about switching from PETG to nGen, and I’ve done a lot of research here. One comment from a user here concerns me:

“A down-side of nGen is that it can distort at a relatively low temperature. nGen parts cannot be used near heat sources.”

My parts will be stored in a hot attic in the summer. I’d guess the temperature might go as high as 160 F or so, although that may be extreme. Does anyone know about this issue? Thanks!

nGen and PETG have nearly exact the same glass transition temperature. That means, they will withstand the same temperatures up to about 75°C (167F).

According to ColorFabb nGen has a temperature resistance of 85° C. I have been using it a lot for the last few months making parts that are exposed to temps up to 130° F for periods of 1-4 hours and have not seen any distortion yet. I have not test it for longer periods at a time though.

I have recently tried the new ColorFabb HT recently which they state resists temps up to 100° C. I haven’t tested the heat resistance yet, but the layer adhesion is very good and it makes very strong parts. The down side is it likes to warp similar to ABS, but I raised the bed temp and that has helped quite a bit. Also colors are limited.

Maker Geeks has just released a “dishwasher safe” PLA which I have not tested yet. They claim it is temp resistant to 125° C, but parts must be annealed after printing to achieve maximum temperature resistance. This means you have to bake the parts in an oven at 100° C (212° F) for 5-10 minutes. They do offer many more colors though.

I’m getting a ton of strings with nGen and the built-in profiles. Anyone else seeing that problem?

Heavy stringing is nearly always a sign of over extrusion. Check your filament diameter and esteps calibration first.

Try lowering the extrusion temp a few degrees to reduce stringing.

Stringing with PETG (which I am using right now) is reported all over the net, and I get it as well. I’ve ordered some nGen to see if that’s better. Your post is discouraging. However, I’ve learned some things about PETG stringing that may apply to nGen:

\

1. Ambient temperature makes a big difference. Stringing is much more of a problem at 80 F in the room than at 65.
  2. Head temp of 240 C produces much less stringing than 250. Dropping to 235 is even better, but then extrusion speed becomes a limit, as PETG seems to need a lot of melting time in the head.
  3. I raised the retraction speed to 20 and the distance to 2, which helped
  4. Dropping the infill speed to 30 (sigh!) helps
  5. Set CURA to make a lot of warmup loops around the object before printing it. PETG comes out funny at first, but eventually stabilizes. You want it stable before printing the object.

With these parameters, I am usually able to get decent prints with eSun PETG. But after six months of PLA, which is a dream to print, I am annoyed at how tough PETG is to tweak. I sure hope the nGen I ordered works better than PETG.