Nozzle Overlapping previous lines?

I am having an issue where my first layer/brim looks muddy. I think what’s happening is that the nozzle is overlapping and pushing up the previous line. Weirdest thing I’ve ever seen. Could this be what’s happening? Anyone else have this issue? Currently trying to post a picture.

Nozzle is too close to the bed. Since it’s inconsistent across the print, it’s almost certainly due to contamination on the nozzle screwing up the contact between the nozzle and the washer, causing the bed to be sensed lower than it physically is.

If there is any visible movement in the bed when the nozzle touches the corner when leveling, it’s going to be bad.

Some people incorrectly compensate by changing the probe offset until there’s a small usable space where their errors cancel out at the center of the bed, but that never addresses the problem.

1 Like

Yes it definitely pushes the bed down when leveling. I have disabled the wipe function and turned the temp way down so that it doesn’t ooze but somehow it still does. I even manually wipe it beforehand(lol). I can’t believe they’re still using this leveling method on their newer multi thousand dollar “workhorse” machines. I guess I’ll have to complete the CR touch install.

Looks like you are slicing for 1.75 filament but are actually using 2.85 filament. Looks familiar since I also tend to make this mistake.

If the temp is too low, there’s more force required to mash it out of the way of the nozzle, and too hot leads to more oozing. There’s a goldilocks zone in there somewhere, but yes, the true fix is to swap to BLTouch or similar. I am running a custom Marlin build with a stored 10x10 unified bed leveling mesh with a 3-point bed tilt probe before a print. Also using MPC instead of PID for heat control and a few other enhancements.

There was reason for the nozzle-based leveling if you were swapping toolheads frequently, but I still think that it could have easily been combined with a BLTouch or similar to get the probe offset automatically to get the best of both words.