Taulman 618 Nylon

just got 910 nylon filament and have been printing with it with success on the mini with gluestick

they recommend 245 for strongest layers but this does not work. nozzle always gets clogged for me in between the cleaning and leveling…

have got it to work at 235, will try 240 next

FWIW, I use 910 frequently and have not experienced clogging when printing at 245C. However, there will be trouble if the first layer is too thin: the 910 filament can strip or else the part can get stuck too firmly to the bed.

I’ve just started running Alloy 910 today. I went with lulzbot cura’s teperature of 235. Seem to work really well :slight_smile:

My only concern, the print item was about a 30 minute print. The bed temperature was set at 45C and there was a little bit of yellowing on the print bed side. The entire build plate side is not yellowed, just a couple sections. Now the part its self isn’t exactly perfectly white but these couple spots are definitely a yellowish color.

I figured at 45C I’d have no issues but maybe I am overlooking something? To much glue stick? (Elmers Disappearing Purple) I put down a good 2 layers and let it change to clear, I then printed. When I took the print off, there was a noticeable dry spot? from where the print came off.

Anyways, suggestions on yellowing would be great :slight_smile: Thanks all!

Alloy 910 yellows where it is heated by the bed. Yellowing is faster at higher bed temperature. The mechanical properties of the material are not noticeably affected.

I will have to see how soon I can remove the bed heat and/or how low I can go on the bed to reduce that effect.

Does 645 nylon also stick to wood? I may want to print something with a wood base attached. Does anyone know which material sticks to wood the most? Thanks.

Ain’t going to stick permanently, just long enough to print

I, for the life of me, can’t get Nylon 910 to stick to the bed without warping. I am putting PVA on top of the PEI sheet and it always seems to come up at the edges. I have used a Elmer’s purple glue stick, Elmer’s plain white glue with with 50% water blue painters tape with PVA and even Wolfbite Nitro. Nothing has worked. I also dried the filament for 8+ hours at 180F in the oven. I am doing a fairly small print. I have attached the STL file for reference.

Anyone have an exact method to get perfect prints with 910? For instance, how many layers of glue, what type of glue, what are your print profile settings, etc. Here are the settings I have tried and failed with:

First layer: .2 - .3 (tried a number of values between)
Layer height: .2, .3
Filament temp: 235 - 250
Bed temp: 45, 60, 80, 105, 110
Print speed: 40mm/s, 30mm/s, 10mm/s, 50mm/s

As an experiment, I took the PEI sheet off and was able to get it to stick to the glass perfectly. Unfortunately, it stuck too well and some of the glass came up with the part.

Any help would be much appreciated. I am nearly through an entire spool and I haven’t even come close to a good print without warping.
Rocket_Centering_Ring_v2.stl (146 KB)

You’ll want to replace your PEI sheet and turn on the “Print brim” setting. This will print an extra amount of extruded filament around and inside your part-- whatever’s touching the print surface. This brim will increase the first layer surface area improving adhesion and reducing potential warp. It may not eliminate it depending on your object dimensions, but it’ll help a lot.

Ninja edit: You’ll also want to use glue stick like Elmer’s® brand to help it stick.

Orias,

I ended up replacing the heated bed (because the glass chipped) and it came with a new PEI sheet applied.

I used the Elmer’s purple glue stick with one layer. I also used a brim (10 lines) and while the print didn’t entirely detach, the brim closest to the part started to lift. It lifted about .5mm and the part was very easy to remove from the build plate. I used the default Cura settings, but turned off the fan and set the layer height to .2mm. I can’t seem to keep the edges of any part down no matter what I do. I bought an enclosure thinking that would help and that didn’t improve things at all.

Should I use more glue?

I use one thin layer of Elmers purple stick, bed temp 55. I rarely have any problems with it. It’s wonderful stuff that I love using. Raising the bed temp will help it stick more but will also make it harder to remove and may cause discolouration.

Is your bed properly level and Z height set correctly? How about your filament measurement? IIRC all my 910 has averaged in the 2.7x region so if you’ve left it at 2.85 you could be under extruding. Also, shrinkage isn’t much of a problem with it but you really don’t need high infill %ages as it’s incredibly strong anyway, so turning that down a bit might help.