We have really been struggling with print quality issues with our TAZ 2 printer and were getting really frustrated about not getting anything that resembled a decent print. We were trying all kinds of different filament (all from LulzBot), testing different Slic3r settings, constantly calibrating the bed and nothing was working. We’d often get prints that looked like this (and this was one of the better prints):
I went to the open house recently at Aleph Objects and was able to show one of the engineers examples of our prints and got some advice about what to do, what to take a look at, etc. They first instructed me to do an extrusion calibration to make sure the machine was feeding the correct amount. After running that test, it was fine (no issues). I then did a large series of bed calibrations (adjusting bed springs and Z-axis end stop) to make sure it was “just right” on the height of the filament being extruded–it’s amazing how fine the adjustments are you need to make with both the Z-axis end stop and the bed spring screws.
After getting that all dialed in, we were still getting really inconsistent prints. We were using the “Medium” Slic3r profile available for download from the TAZ 2 Downloads section. LulzBot staff asked that I send the Slic3r profile we were using (the one we downloaded from the LulzBot site) and they said there were some strange settings in it. They emailed me a Slic3r profile they’d been using and told me to try it with our objects. Looking at our first prints with the profile they provided–the changes were dramatic with the new parts we printed with the new profile. We are finally getting parts that look like they are supposed to–I’d just about given up on the printer.
Here’s an example of a recent print. On the left is what we were getting, on the right is what we are getting using the new Slic3r profile:
I’ve attached the Slic3r profile to this thread in the hopes that it might help any of the rest of you that are struggling with this.
Medium-.35noz.ini (3.03 KB)