Things learned or affirmed in first month

1. FDM 3d printing is very slow compared to a CNC router
    1.1 this is not that bad of a thing as once the first couple of layers are down it will print almost unsupervised.

2. Orientation makes a huge difference in the strength of the print.
    2.1 if you are printing for strength it is often worthwhile to reorient the print even if it means you have to add support.

3. I waited just about the right amount to get in for my purposes of not being a pioneer but still being early.
    3.1 Thank you to all of you that have been doing this for years and have contributed to making these where I can concentrate on printing and not making and maintaining the printer.
    3.2 If all there was, was ABS and PLA I’d be too early, these new filaments rock. I love Bridge and T-glase, and I hope to learn several more in the upcoming months.

4. don’t be afraid to advance at whatever rate you are comfortable with.
    4.1 I am using “advanced” filaments already, but 2 kilos of “beginners” filament was enough to make me comfortable to try others.

Finally, a big thank you to all that helped me through this first month, especially mhackney who has some great guides here as well as answered several specific questions. There is always one on every forum like him and it is much appreciated.

Amen. It’s encouraging to read this…I just received my TAZ a few weeks ago.

Definitely has a learning curve to it…but you’re right - I think I’m getting in at the correct time. This tech is very exciting…and challenging (in a good way - for the most part)

Starting with HIPS but am looking forward to more advanced stuff.

Just wanted to add something to your strength post, heat also makes a big difference in strength in some materials. I was always afraid of the strength of ABS in the layer adhesion until I got an all metal hotend that allows me to print hotter. I would say that printing my parts at 250 VS. 240 more than doubled the layer adhesion strength to the point that if I break (on purpose) a cylindrical objects it will crack all over now and not straight on the layer line like it use to.

thanx for the additional info, I will take it under advisement on anything that looks like it is failing at the layer and could survive a bit more heat.