Ugly grinding(?) noise on Y axis

So I’ve had this printer for about 2 months now, and it’s been really good so far. However, for the last 3 weeks or so whenever the bed has to move from one end to another it makes a really ugly grinding noise. At the start it only happened rarely but now it is consistent.

Opinions on this? Link to the video below.

https://youtu.be/-i1dvTaRV_o

That sounds like bearing/rod chatter, you might try cleaning the smooth rods with some 0000 steel wool and see if that helps it.

Thanks, I’ll get some steel wool and try that out. Is this because of dust on the y axis rods griding when the bed moves?

well it doesn’t sound like it’s the motor so that’s good. I agree, it sounds like something to do with the plastic bearings. Perhaps it could be dust getting in there, but i wouldn’t know. Never heard about the steel wool tip, but if that doesn’t help perhaps try adding some lubrication. I’ve heard most people don’t recommend petroleum based lubricant because over time it may eat away at the plastic, but you could try some 3-in-1 oil or sewing machine oil just to try. Most people seem to use silicone grease or lithium grease.

Let us know how it all turns out.

Silicon lube like you use for a garage door is what I use some times on the smooth rods. The spray dries fast and does not seem to have caused a problem so far. YMMV!