0.075mm layer height slic3r profile?

I’m a little confused as to why there’s no 0.075mm layer slic3r config. The “fine” one is 0.14mm. One of the driving factors in my buying the TAZ 4 was the 0.075 mm layer height. Is the problem that there is such much variation from individual machine to machine that all bets are off on trying to give a standard config and you have to figure it all out yourself?

You can print down to .075mm or even lower, the speed required to do so is generally much longer than most people are willing to put up with so the default fine profile starts it at a somewhat faster level. You can edit those profiles however you like. Just be aware that you may have to adjust other pseed parameters to get the quality you are looking for. For that fine a tolerance you will also want to take the time to ensure your work surface that the TAZ sits on is perfectly flat and level and stable to ensure no possibility for frame deflection, etc.

It just seems so bizarre that they advertise it as a 0.075mm layer height printer with all those qualifiers. Are all the other printers that advertise as 0.050mm even more finicky than this?

Where are you getting 75mm and 50mm? mm = milimeters. 75 mm 3/4 of a centemeter thick. Are you thinking microns? 1mm = 1,000 microns. 75 microns would be .075mm. That’s very very tiny. a human hair by comparison is usually about 10 microns thick or .010mm.

Once you start getting down that tiny, many things can affect your print quality. Local air temperature. People walking by the printer. People breathing near the printer. Humidity, etc. Any printer is going to be affected at the extremely small end of the resolution spectrum. You can compensate for that by using ballscrews and supported linear bearing rails instead of rods, placing the unit inside a sealed climate controlled vibration isolated environment, etc. But most prointers that rely on motion components and filliament feed are going to have similar maximum resolution characteristics. The main determining factors are part quality and robustness of the motion control and bearing sytems. If you truly need very tiny resolution parts you probablyt want to save up a couple $10,000 or so for a laser sintering system of some sort.

For what it’s worth I find my TAZ 3.1 to be one of the more accurate 3d printers I have played with so far. There are certainly things that you could do to it to get a higher resolution out of it if you wanted to get into the extreme tinkering phase (frame rigidity modifications, maybe a linear Y rail on the bed, leadscrews instead of belts, the usual), but out of the box it’s just as acurate if not more so than any of the major filliament extrusion 3d printers on the market (including the makerbots, mendelmax 2, Prussia I3, etc.) Quality of the filliament you are using is going to be much more important than usual at that resolution as well.

About the only filliament feed printer I can think of at the moment that could theoretically rival the resolution of the TAZ in a major way will be the heavily modified ballscrew Z axis and linear Z rail equippd Ao-10x I have, and only then once I finish the last of the X axis rail modifications. And there’s only one of those on the planet at the moment. I suppose you might also be able to get super high resolution out of a rebuilt aluminatus printer too, but that would take some work.

Don’t make too much of a typo. :wink: It was right in the subject and I corrected it in the body of the post.

All of what you said just makes it more odd that they list the specifications as having a layer height of 0.075mm. If the printer as it ships needs various parts changed out and upgraded to print reliably at 0.075mm, should it be advertised as a 0.075mm printer? I’m not taking issue with it’s accuracy in comparison to other similarly priced printers, just in making bold claims which sound like they don’t apply to the printer as sold. I guess they felt they had to inflate the resolution of the stock printer to match or beat the marketing of other printers who do the same.

Well, it does print just fine at .075mm layer height. It just prints slower at that height so no one would generally print at that low a resolution. It applies just fine. “capable of printing at a maximum resolution of …” is a much different thing than saying “this printer prints really fast at .075mm layer height”. Because no one says that printing at 0.075mm is fast. Can you print at that resolution out of the box? yes. Will it work well? yes. Do you have to load a properly configured profile to do so? Certanly. Is it going to be a very fast print? no, you will be there for days.

What you described above doesn’t seem like “it does print just fine at .075mm layer height” without a lot of tinkering and maybe altering. As far as speedy printing, I never brought that up. It’s common sense that the finer you print the slower it will go.

I will note that it doesn’t say “capable of printing at a maximum resolution of”. It says simply:
Layer Thickness: 0.075mm to 0.35mm (0.003in - 0.0138in)

Of course, I’ve been told by lulzbot that 0.075mm isn’t the maximum and you could print at 0.050mm if you really tweak the hell out of it. So I’m really just talking about the advertised range.

Of course, you say “Do you have to load a properly configured profile to do so?” and (obvious typos aside) this post is titled asking where said profile would be on the lulzbot site, since it isn’t provided with the all the other slic3r profiles they provide for this printer. Do you really think this is such an odd question?

Anyway, I’m giving it the benefit of the doubt until I can test it myself. Gotta solve other issues first, unfortunately.