Are printing profiles tied to a specific material?

I created a decent set of settings for printing Elixir filament but I did it while using Verbatim PLA as my “active material” in Lulzbot Cura. Now I am trying to make a new material profile and then bring in the print setting profile I created and I see no way to do that. If I activate the PLA, I can then select the Elixir print settings but if I activate the Elixir material first, the settings are no longer visible to select. I tried exporting the settings under PLA and then bringing them back in under Elixir, but they come back in only under PLA. Is there any way to do this or do I need to make sure to build a new material first before working with print settings?

To make matters worse, if I switch from the Mini2 to the Taz6, I then have to do it all over again as well.

On a related note, maybe I am missing something but there is very little documentation or even good YouTube guides about managing materials and printer setting for Lulzbot Cura or even “vanilla” Cura. Does anyone have recommendations?

Edit: Update. To make matters worse, I then tried to create a new material and then edit the print profile settings but Cura wasn’t happy since no profile existed. Ok, I changed some settings and the profile drop down menu said “Create profile from current settings/overrides”. I did that but it isn’t creating a new profile, nothing shows up. I quit and restarted Cura but it isn’t creating a new profile. This is getting a little frustrating…

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Sorry that I can’t offer you any help. I have never heard of Elixir filament. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will get involved.

I appreciate the reply but my post isn’t really about Elixir filament. It is about how Material Profiles, Printing Profiles, and Printer Profiles are created and managed.

In Cura there is a hierarchy (actually this is also true of other slicers I’ve used).

It’s (1) Printer -> (2) Filament type -> (3) Quality/Profile

If anything higher up in the pecking order is changed, then everything below it is not shared. This makes sense because while two different PLA’s might be similar… what if the other filament isn’t a PLA and is something completely different … TPU, PETG, Nylon, etc. … you would have to make tweaks to temperature settings, retraction settings, and so on.

Cura LulzBot Edition has some default profiles provided and for each filament type you typically see three profiles; “fine-detail”, “standard”, and “high-speed” (and typically these vary the layer height from .15 to .25 to .35.)

But you might create profiles for special reasons… e.g. if you use “spiralize outer contour” (aka “vase” mode) then maybe you find it convenient to make a vase-mode quality for that same filament.

Anyway… I find that if you switch filaments and get the alert asking if you want to save things… that’s a bit buggy.

The safer thing to do if you’ve updated settings is to navigate from the main menu to “Settings” -> “Profile” and then choose either “Create profile from current settings/overides…” or if you just want to over-write the current profile with the latest changes then pick “Update profile from current settings/overrides…”

(If you have a dual-extruder the menu looks a little different because it’s “Settings” -> “Hotend __” (each hot-end is listed) -> “Profile” -> and then you see the create or update options.)

I was just hoping that someone else would notice your message and the VirtualTim obliged :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. I think the last issue was a bug/glitch becuase I just created a new material by duplicating an old one and everything worked like I would expect it to. Thank you for your help.

Well it worked! Thanks!

I Have tried to make the profiles, but it was not working, can anyone guide me through the instructions, so that I will be Thankful to you.

Are you trying to make a filament profile or a printing profile?

1. Select your machine.
  2. Select the filament (or duplicate and edit one).
  3. Select a default profile close to the one you want or create a new printing profile and make the changes you want. A black star will appear next to the name of the profile you started with before you started making changes. Make all the changes you want then click the profile name/ drop down menu again and select “Create profile from current settings/overrides.”
  4. Name your new profile.
    This new profile will only appear when you already have the same printer and material you selected when you made that profile.

The instructions on how to do that is in the last 2 paragraphs of VurtualTim’s last response.

navigate from the main menu to “Settings” -> “Profile” and then choose either “Create profile from current settings/overides…” or if you just want to over-write the current profile with the latest changes then pick “Update profile from current settings/overrides…”

(If you have a dual-extruder the menu looks a little different because it’s “Settings” -> “Hotend __” (each hot-end is listed) -> “Profile” -> and then you see the create or update options.)