I loaded this firmware (Marlin_Gladiola_v1.1.05_f5e8154.hex), ran a few prints, and have some observations to report.
- The only MAJOR issue I had… With the second print I started, the firmware stopped responding during pre-heat. The firmware stopped sending temperature reports, and would not respond to any console commands. I had to reset the printer to clear the condition. I haven’t done enough prints to know if this was just an anomaly, but I have never had this happen with any previous firmware.
Other MINOR items that don’t affect printing functionality…
Homing position is now at Max-Y instead of Min-Y, homing to X=0, Y=191 (as reported by M114) instead of X=0, Y=0. Note that Y=191 is outside of the “print envelope”. This causes an issue with Simplify3D’s XY position readout and jog controls, since S3D has provisions for the “Home” position to be Min or Max Y, but not beyond Max Y. This isn’t a problem with CURA or Octoprint, since they don’t attempt to track/display the current XY coordinates. Not sure how to get Simplify3d to know it is at Y=191 after Home, while still understanding that the print envelope ends at Y=158.
With my Dec-2015 vintage Mini, the controller fan is now either FULL OFF or FULL ON with this firmware. It is OFF until motors are activated, then FULL ON, and stays FULL ON during printing. It returns to OFF a few minutes after the last motor movement. The FULL ON speed is LOUD. My controller fan used to run at about 60%, which was plenty for cooling and a lot quieter.
The rear bed probing locations are closer to the center of the washers (about Y=164), rather than at the edge (Y=157). The front washers are still probed near the edge, as with prior firmwares. No functional difference, just surprising the first time you see it.
The Z positioning (before probing) is about 1mm higher than with previous firmwares. With previous firmwares, I found the default Z for wipe/clean (Z=0) to be too low, putting too much pressure on the pad/bed, so I had revised it 1mm higher (Z=1) and that is too high with the new firmware. The original value (Z=0) in the default CURA scripts worked perfectly for me with the new firmware. Anyone who has, like me, changed their wipe/clean positions will need to change them back.
NOTE: Both old and new firmware have Z_Max_Pos as 159 in the configuration.h file. However, when homing, the old firmware immediately adjusts for the Z-offset as stored by M851. My Z-offset is the default -1.43, so the old firmware sets Z=160.43 instead of 159 when hitting the ZMax endstop. The new firmware reports Z=159 (no adjustment for M851 Z-offset) after hitting the ZMax endstop.
The new firmware behavior (in my opinion) is better here, since setting Z=159 when homing (and not adjusting for the M851 offset before probing) correctly puts the top of the wiper pad at Z=0 as intended. After probing, the M851 Z offset value is applied, which compensates for the washer thickness plus the amount of “first layer squish” desired.
6. The Z-probing seemed to take longer. I didn’t time it, but the descent speed is obviously much slower on the “second touch” at each washer. Approaching the washers more slowly likely improves reliability, and if so, the extra time may be a good trade-off.
For now, mainly due to #1 (firmware hang) and #3 (LOUD fan), I rolled back to previous firmware.