Covid-19 Crisis Assistance

Is anybody involved with any 3D printing of parts to assist in this coranavirus pandemic?

Does FAME 3D Have any ongoing efforts?

I’d like to join in the fight and help out if I can!

1 Like

We’re working with several local and regional hospitals as well as medical supplies distributors on parts we can print for them. You can find on our social media accounts our participation. We have 170+ printers ready to print. Comment if you have suggested parts and destination for the part. Thanks!

1 Like

@CB-LulzBot I’m not sure how much Copper3d paid you to promote their mask, but it doesn’t work. We’ve raised 20k in less than 24 hours due to our wide support of making the PRUSA face shields, it’s the only PPE right now 3d printers can make that will help. No 3d printed mask seals against the skin properly, they are not flexible enough to move with you and can actually cut you. Imagine wearing a plastic cup around your face for an 8 hour shift.

If you want to print something, the face shields PRUSA has published, they are the only viable 3d printable object so far that helps.

Thats misinformation. We did not get paid by copper3D in any way. And that’s not the only thing we have been working on. We will be sure to print anything that is out their including face shields. So send in your open source designs and we will put our resources to helping fight the pandemic.

Copper3d’s design is not viable, no 3d printed mask is. We are printing face shields. Shoot me an message and I can onboard you with our team, test units go out today.

If you want to print something, the face shields PRUSA has published, they are the only viable 3d printable object so far that helps.

Great! I’ll shoot you a message. We are all here to just help. We understand that masks have there downside but were great to get the conversation started.

I’m aware of the NanoHack Mask mask design you speak of and their suggestion to use Copper3d’s antimicrobial filament. Antimicrobial filament makes sense to me (assuming it really works) vs. your typical run of the mill PLA filament. Their design was to be printed flat so it could be stuffed in an envelope vs. put in a box. This helps keep the shipping cost down and broadens the audience of those who might like to participate in supplying the stock rather then trying to find some place local to you. Warm up the plastic by hot water or an air dryer and it becomes more contoured to your face. Albeit maybe not the best design but a quick design that may prove useful in the time of need as better quality supplies are running out. They have received a lot of negative feedback about their design ( about what exactly I don’t know, maybe something along the lines that the plastic would not be able to handle temperatures for sterilization). Their mask is a last resort go to when you run out of the other masks. Better than nothing I’m sure. They are coming out with a 2.0 version next week. Besides you still have to buy the filters to put in the mask. It is unfortunate that the price of Copper3d’s antimicrobial is 3.5 to 4 times the price of regular PLA. I found it on Amazon for $96 and I don’t know what size the roll is (.750kg I think maybe). Considering I found another Antimicrobial filament by Purement on e-bay for $24 (only in 1.75mm though :frowning: ) does leave a bad taste in my mouth for them pushing Copper3d’s overpriced filament feels like they’re taking advantage of the crisis. However, an effort, was made!

That mask is just one solution, Prusa face guards is another solution but you still need to come up with the clear plastic shield for the mask and its designed for one time use.

Here’s another alternate Open Source 3D printed mask (again, you’ll need to supply the filters and elastic bands), initially designed by a doctor in Montana. He says the mask can be disinfected by soap and water and disinfectant agents as well as using good hygiene practices. No asks to use an antimicrobial filament.
News story here:

You can get the 3D design files and .stl files for the mask here:
https://longliveyoursmile.com/3d-printable-mask-for-covid-19/

I like this doctor’s design better than NanoHack’s. And its open source, so its open to design improvements. In fact, its encouraged to be improved upon. Looks like it was made in Freecad.

There are Many designs available on grabcad.com

Hi, I found a ‘prusa mask’ that seemed good, and made a version for US letter size office materials. I’ll be making a version with closed top next. Perhaps a foam insert to allow flexing.

The Billings Clinic in Billings Montana has an active and ambitious program printing and distrubuting face masks. They have great participation from 3d labs, colleges, township schools, dentists, and hobbiests. The clininc has set up a fund to supply filament anyone who wants to print for them. I am setting up a similar program in NJ, currently in the middle of this crisis, and will need an army of printers to print us masks. Is I am having a problem reaching local institutions and people who can print, as most are closed. I have reached out to my local TV stations for help making these connections, but they have not yet returned my call. Is there any hear that can help us print masks.

Bruce Levinson, 609.261.1133

Yes of course! Please upload the file you’re using and a link to get the clear face shields.

Or if we could just print the frames and not have to worry about the clear shield piece that’d make it super efficient and quicker to process and ship. Assemble upon receiving. Either way, I’m willing to help, wanting to help!

Hey all, Id like to make a quick comment about the PPE. Ive been working in a number of groups on various discords to help make sure people are helping where its needed most.

At present we are mainly focusing on 3d printing face shields, and only a select few designs are being accepted by some hospitals. 3dVerksen and some of the Prusa designs are the main ones. the best option is to contact your local hospital and see what they are accepting. Many areas already have groups with supply chains going for parts, meaning they have sources for the clear plastic shields (such as a local laser cutting service) and are prioritizing only a few shield designs, and primarily wanting them printed in PETG for its various temp and cleaning ability properties.

so far there are not really any viable printed mask designs and most take hours to make a single mask. Sewing is a more viable option for a mask worn on the face at this point.

I would post a link for the large discord for face shields but I am not sure the forum staff would like my doing so without permission.

A large group of individual makers, hackerspaces and FabLabs here in Copenhagen, Denmark are involved in printing large amounts of protective gear for the local hospital-employees.
In that regard, does anyone have a better/faster PETG profile for the TAZ6/Single Extruder. Or have an educated opinion on what would be the settings to change besides “print speed”?

stay safe

1.) Print at a larger layer height
2.) Increase your Initial layer height
3.) Change your nozzle with a larger diameter nozzle
4.) Lower your infill percentage if its high. (You may gain a little time)
5.) Try this adaptive layers (these will take in account the values you have in 1 & 2 above)

You can try enabling the Adaptive Layers feature (under the Experimental section at the bottom) and play around with those 3 values in the adaptive layers section. I’ve had mixed results with this settings. Sometimes it speeds things up other times it gave me a longer print time for reasons unknown to me. I think this setting works best when there’s vertical curves in your model.

One could fill out the form and be contacted for what they need.

Hey, thanks for the quick reply. Yes, it is a junk machine we made into a quick proof of concept. I believe, from the initial test that this approach might have promise. And, this is an application where the reprap design with the gantry, moving in Z, will be an advantage. With the dual motors on the z and the weight of the gantry acting as a counterweight, when pushing down on the Ambu, I think the load on the z axis could be balanced, whereas with printers that move the build plate in the z axis, the weight of the Ambu bag, and reaction plate are all working against the z motor, when pushing.

We’ve already hacked the firmware on a Prusa to start testing this concept. As I look around, I see Prusa’s, Lulzbot, and perhaps a few other models as the likely candidates for this approach.

We have a Taz 4 inhouse, which we can test with, and a Mini (but it has a bad control board) which we could test with.

What we could really use is someone at Lulzbot who is really good at customizing the firmware on these machines, to get us a test bed for what the ventilator might look like.

Basic idea is that we’d print the necessary pieces then flash the firmware to convert it into a vent. At that point a Respiratory Tech would need a really simple interface to set Tidal Volume and respiratory rate, along with perhaps a couple of hold times.

For testing we just need to be able to put the printer in a mode to cycle along a fixed x,y,z path over and over again.

The other critical requirement where you could really help is to quickly get a set of machines running for days using the proposed vent cycle, with ambu bags installed, so we can get some reliability data. In other words, we need to know if these machines can run this vent cycle for days on end, without failing. I’ll be contacting the UW-Madison researchers, we’re working with to get more Ambu bags to do stress testing with. I think getting this data will be key to getting acceptance in the medical community. Doing it in a controlled environment with well maintained machines, will also be critical. If Lulzbot has maintained maintenance and uptime statistics on your print farm, that also might be helpful in determining if these machines can be trusted to perform this function.

Best regards,

Jim Rasmussen

Sector67

608-251-4715

P.S. I’ve attached a brief discussion of the next steps and a few models I mocked up, for our local group to work on, your thougts would be appreciated.

Now next steps are to start modeling up a good pusher plate and reaction plate and a reliable way to mount them on the printer. I am going to go out on a limb and predict that reprap style printers with the moving gantry, and moving bed are going to work the best for this application.

My reasoning is this.

1. Most have two motors on the z to lift the heavy gantry and print head. In this application, the weight of the gantry and print head act as a counter weight when we want to push down with the z axis. In fact we can even add additional weight to the gantry, as needed to balance the load. This makes most effective use of the z axis. The X and Y axis might be need to get sufficient velocity to achieve higher respiratory rates. Typically, in those conditions the Tidal Volume (air moved) is small, so the amount of force required will be similarly small. So, here is a great opportunity for some bored mechanical engineer to develop a model to help us plan a path for the X,Y, and Z movement to generate a given tidal volume and respitory rate. This will then need to programed into the firmware, so that a given requested Tidal Volume and respiratory rate will then translate into a cyclical movement in X, Y, and Z axis, such that we keep the loads on each axis below the maximum where the steppers start to lose steps. It might look like this:

Initial movement; diagonal X, Y, Z engaged to move quickly, when the bag applies the least resistence. Move the head to a point on the bag where continued motion in Z will minimize the load on the X and Y axis. Then continue the motion straight down in Z, when the resistance from the bag is at it’s maximum, because the Z axis can handle the additional load.

Anyways, that is just the general idea for the motion planning.

Next we need some of you great designers out there to start modeling the pusher block (to be mounted to the print head), and the reaction block (to be mounted to the print bed.

My thoughts on this: First, after playing with the Ambu bag for a bit, I believe the most efficient (least effort to move the most air) will be to have a circular or parabolic pusher plate profile and a circular or parabolic reaction plate profile

(see picture). Note: these profiles will be mounted perpendicular to the line motion of the actuator, so that if we are moving all three axis in a down-back-right direction, the pusher block will be mounted at angle on the print head that is orthogonal to this line, as will the reaction block. So, lets get to work designing those pieces.

How to mount them? It would be nice for testing if we didn’t need to modify the printer, so something that goes over the print head and fastens securely would be nice. As for the reaction block, something that is secure on the print bed but easily removed would be nice. My initial idea for this is to make a cover plate (or frame) that sits on top of the print bed and hangs over each edge and can be held on with binder clips.

For example see picture. Of course, if if is larger than the print bed, it would need to be broken up and puzzled together. It would not need to be a monolithic part, as long as it held securely, and was sufficient to resist the pusher plate forces.

Finally, we will need a simple secure way to attach the Ambu bag to the bed. This could be Velcro straps thru printed lugs on the base plate, or clips. Most likely we will want to attach around the cylindrical vent tubes at each end, but others might have a better idea. Ideally, the bag should be easily accessible for hand squeezing in an emergency. .

I can send you a stl for the ambu bag, and scad files for the other bits. Please have fun and share what you come up with. The sooner we have a printed design, the sooner we can start stress testing it, measuring the air flow, and evaluating it for long term use. It’d be nice to run these designs for days to see what failure modes pop up. I’ll ask if there is a supply of old used (not on Covid patients) Ambu bags we could get to test with.

We are printing headbands for face shields right now, two of my printers are giving us fits so that is coming in another thread.

I am having a hard time finding files that will fit the lulzbot mini. Any suggestions? I was considering printing the prusa shield but curled up, and heat treating, but would prefer to find a build that fits my smaller print bed. Surely some responders have smaller foreheads?

I assume you’ve tried orientating the model diagonally on the bed? 2.). You could orientate it diagonally and rotate one corner of the model up until it fits and print it with supports. 3.). Have you tried scaling down the model with Cura? This would be just as good as finding a smaller model and is probably your best option.

Thank you for your support!

1 Like

I mean, yes. It’s too small from every direction. I’ll check to see what the scaled down size would be, but I imagine close to child sized.