Cura 4.13.4 + Re-print of stl file now too large

Last summer I was able to print (2 separate times) an articulated snake I downloaded from Thingiverse.

It printed out 24 inches in length.

I thought I’d print another copy of that snake today except when I import
that same .stl file into the new Cura 4.13.4 it displays as too large
to fit on the bed.

So, I scaled it down to 108 mm and it fit on the bed.

But 108 mm = about 4 inches.

How can I print this snake to 24 inches in length in Cura so it prints
on the Lulsbot Taz 6?

Also, I don’t see in this new Cura how I can check or change the
nozzle size to ensure I’m using the correct size.

Is there a way to check that in Cura or must you just select Tool Head
on the Lulzbot printer itself?

I thought this nozzle was 0.4 but it’s been a while.

I tried updating the Firmware to this newer Cura but after 10 minutes
of displaying it was “Preparing to update” I canceled it.

Thank you!

That’s easy go to prepare the under the arrows is scale & pick non uniform unless you want it symmetrically scaled slice & save them dm yourself on a app that you can

Hi Tom… I unchecked Uniform scaling and in the X window typed in 609.6 (24 inches) and it appears way off the bed. It displays the Y as 145.9918 and the Z as 14.744

Do I then Slice that and export the gcode to the sd card and it should print the same 24 inches in length as the .stl file I printed last summer?

Thank you.

1 Like

Understood Sir
I just wanted to make sure we could weed out some options

It’s important to consider the build size

I’ve got the Taz 6 but this isn’t hardware but software where the old Cura (3.6) had no problem fitting the .stl on to the bed and I just sliced and it printed the object 24 inches.

Leave uniform scaling checked. Click the Scale to Max button.

That will make it as big as your printer supports. You can then scale down from there if it’s too big.

For articulated models, the gap in joints scales with the model, so if you go smaller than the original size, the joints may merge and become solid. If you go bigger, it typically still works, just a little looser.

Nozzle size affects recommendations for line width and height. Lulzbot machines have shipped with 0.5mm nozzles on most everything but their specialty toolheads (small layer, moarstruder, etc).

1 Like

That is correct though you might also be able to do us

Wrathernaur… Thank you for sharing these insight and the graphic. I followed your directions and kept the Uniform checked and then chose to print as large as the bed but ti printed badly. It was not articulate and all flat and melted together.
It’s perplexing that the .stl file I saved and printed 3 times last summer (7/23) using that older Cura (36.) it worked perfectly but now when I open that .stl file in that Cura version the latest Cura version the snake appears off the bed in the lower right corner.

If i drag that image on to the bed i get that error message it’s too large to slice.

What could have happened?

I’m not sure how to correct this so it prints 24 inches like last summer.

Thank you. for your help.

1 Like

Can you post the STL? It sounds like it may have a part that is detached from the main file or just corrupt geometry that is treated in a different way in the different Cura versions.

1 Like

Well, today the Taz 6 extruder is rocking up and down. I don’t know why? Is there a way to share a short video of that I recorded on my cell? Can I upload the video to DropBox and share that link here?

Thank you.

Dropbox works, but generally an unlisted video on Youtube is easier.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/t6f7vmukrgd3cnvj8jvdt/Looping-Stringiness-Piglet_-_pig-2385982_1280-removebg-preview.xcf?rlkey=mpf3dwlop88jp9hh7m5q82buj&st=cyr6dsh8&dl=0

You should see toward the end of this cell video how the Taz 6
extruder is rocking up/down.

Thank you so much!

Multi-tasking, the other link may not be the video

Not sure not sure how to delete that on this forum.

This should be…

My apologies.

Thank you.!

Neither of the links is working, are they set to private?

Dropbox hasn’t been my best friend today - my apologies.

If you will, pls try this link I just created and seem to work in 2 different browsers?

Thank you so much!

No luck for me, these kind of issues are why it’s best to post to youtube as an unlisted video. If you’re not comfortable posting that link to the forum, you can send the link as a private message to me or the actual Lulzbot employees.

1 Like