Drag knife, any solutions or suggestions?

Howdy folks,

Does anyone have any experience with creating/adapting a drag knife for the lulzbot. In my brief search I’ve seen writeups for cnc machine drag knives but none for 3d printers.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
nurbnoob

A CNC mill uses leadscrews to apply X and Y force to ensure there is sufficient pressure of the router against the work surface. A 3d printer uses belts to ensure the print head is positioned above the work in the correct location, but applies very little force in the X and Y direction compared to the amount of downforce the Z leadscrews are capable of applying. I’ve seen people create vinyl cutting knives for 3d printers that work fine, and there are several of them on thingiverse, but you don’t want to try and make an all up drag knife on a belt driven design.

Theoretically since we share all the models used in the production of your 3D printer, it should be easy to adapt one of several designs out there do to what you’re thinking about. This may be the easiest: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:45655

You’re going to find though, that not many people are trying to do this yet. We’d love to hear how you do it/how it goes for you if you give it a shot.

Thanks!