Dual Extruder V2 Heat Block Fan Upgrade

Which bolts? The extruder mounting bolt that goes through the new little clip that holds the heatsink fan?

I wonder if the fan frame was physically stressed somehow and it wasn’t spinning at normal speed and you weren’t getting the cooling you needed on the back extruder?

Let’s hope this continues! I’ll check back.

Cool print, by the way…

I tried to print the shroud and the clip with my FlexyDually. It has 0.6mm nozzles which are just too big for the model’s thin walls. I tried to adjust my extrusion width to 0.5mm in my slicer but it just resulted in horrible quality and I still have holes in the walls. Are the original CAD files available so I could thicken the walls a bit? I can use the STL’s as well but it is always a hassle.

I had the same problem printing with the defaults for the TAZ 6 which has a 0.5 nozzle and defaults to 0.6 extrusion. I was able to get a usable print with lots of tweaking but the prints were not great by any means.

I converted the STL to solid in FreeCAD and I try to thicken it a bit. If it works I will upload the file here. It will take a week for my fans to arrive so I can assemble the thing. If KelVarnson still has the original CAD files those would be a lot cleaner to modify.

I’ve included step files here for the shroud (Version 2) and the two clips (Version 2 and Version 3). The version 2 clip is symmetrical and reversible, but requires a standoff under it for spacing. The version 3 clip is non-symmetrical, so you can only load it on one side of the fan. However, it eliminates the need for a spacer underneath.

Please let me know how this works out.
Shroud 2016-04-19 01.stp (508 KB)
Clip 2016-12-07 01.stp (92.5 KB)
Clip 2016-04-19 01.stp (105 KB)

Awesome, thank you. I will definitely post my experiences once I get it together.

I modified the step-files a bit and tried to make sure they will fit. I will post results and STLs when I get my fans but you can take a look on Onshape. https://cad.onshape.com/documents/dea4b2726520365278662adf/w/af8ddf388ecf4b6d69659f3a/e/740de846ea9ed419a3e6e424

For what it’s worth, I printed my shrouds and clips in ABS, using my home printer, which is a Sourceforge Creator. I think it might have a 0.25mm nozzle, not sure.

That explains why you were able to print the original files just fine.
Finally I got my fans. Everything seemed to line up nicely but I realized I don’t have small enough screws. Hopefully I can get it together tomorrow.

Is anyone able to add links to the .stl files for the fan upgrade so I can print?

Thanks

I posted the stl files in the first post when I started the thread. It’s two files, one for the shroud, and one for the clip that attaches the fan and the shroud to the print head.

Note that the original clip design is symmetrical, it can be used on either side of the fan. In the third post I added an stl file for a revised clip design, which was slightly beefier and eliminated the need for a standoff. However, this results in it only being usable on one side of the fan. This approach works for the dual head, but I am not sure whether or not it will work on a single head.

I’m about to undertake this upgrade myself. Just to be sure I’m not missing anything, do I only need these parts?

20mm x 8mm 5v fan x2
M4 x 35mm bolt x2

I replaced one of the extruder bolts, the one underneath the stepper motor, using an M4 x 35mm machine screw with a 7mm hex head. This also solves the annoying problem of trying to hold the extruder mounting nut in place during reassembly. Underneath the fan mounting clip is a 6mm tall spacer with a 4mm clearance hole. The screw comes down through the spacer, through the clip, and another nut goes on the end to hold it all together and hold the extruder down

Could you point out exactly what screws you’re talking about here? I’m looking at the photos and I don’t quite see how you bolted the 3D printed clip in.

Thanks!

Is this upgrade the same as https://www.lulzbot.com/store/parts/dual-extruder-fan-mount-v2 ?

No, that’s the part that blows directly onto the print itself to cool it. This attaches next to the heatsink to prevent heat creep. I just added it to mine and before where it’d struggle to handle a 30 minute print it now runs at least two hours just fine.

I’ve printed these parts but there is a hole where the fan attaches to the shroud. I’ve looked at the .stp file and there’s nothing there, it doesn’t show when you look at the part in Cura normal view, but if you look at the layers, you can see the hole.

I’ve sliced the part with CuraLE 2.6.69, CuraLE alpha 3.2.14, and Simplify3D and they all show a hole in the print. I’m guessing the settings are wrong but I’m not sure what to change. Can anyone help?