Hey Everybody. So I’ve been wanting an enclosure for a while, but have been putting it off for different reasons. Primary reason was that I didn’t want to pay for it. However I’ve decided to go for it and have put together a preliminary design that I’m hoping you can help me review. A few notes:
- I plan to duct the enclosure box or mount it flush to the side panel, but haven’t yet decided which route to take.
- Filament will be mounted inside the enclosure, between the top rails. I made this mount (total overkill) which I’m very happy with, but am going to make a new one that mounts the same way but moves the spool about 4 inches lower. I have not needed the full build height yet. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:725128
- I need to add holes in the back for cables. I’m deciding what the best way to do this is.
- I need to add cam latches to keep the door closed, but I’ll design and print these myself.
- I’m thinking I’ll probably use a 3/4" strip of adhesive backed felt to make the door close quietly and create a nice seal.
- I’ve had LED strips for about 8 months to add lighting, but haven’t gotten around to installing it yet.
- Enclosure is primarily for noise and to protect from drafts. I live in an old, small, drafty apartment, and my printer lives in the living room. Fortunately heat is free and abundantly available.
30mm square aluminum extrusion: $93
3pc 1/4" baltic birch plywood, 30"x60": $60
Cost to laser cut plywood: quote in progress, but I can buy a 5 visit pass at the local maker space for $85 and do it myself.
1pc acrylic door: $49 for material and laser cutting. Maybe less if I buy material and do it myself again.
Misc. hardware $30
All in it should be no more than $320
All constructive feedback is appreciated.