Has anyone printed with PolyFlex on a Lulzbot Mini?

I came across this filament from a company called Polymaker called PolyFlex. This is what their website says:

One of our main goals when developing PolyFlex™ was to make it easy for everyone to use. Flexible filaments are known to be difficult to work with. Well, not any more. PolyFlex™ is designed to be compatible with almost all desktop FDM/FFF printers and requires no hardware modification. Not only does it print smoothly, but also adheres well to a large variety of surfaces with no need for a heated build platform, leaving you to think about nothing other than what model you are going to print.

I really want to be able to print flexible filament but haven’t been able to justify the cost of a Flexystruder. I’m wondering if this filament is a good alternative. Has anyone tried it?

If you do end up trying it, I would recommend using some sort of glue stick as a barrier just in case it sticks TOO well to PEI like most flexible materials. I sent them an email asking them more questions about its composition and if they have printed it with Lulzbot or PEI print beds–I will let you know what I hear back from them.

Edit: Yep, with a quick Google search, this stuff adheres way too good to PEI: http://www.printrbottalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=10170

Looks like Lulzbot already tested it out themselves: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjNx9bUjcvKAhUG3yYKHfAqCigQFggcMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fdevel.lulzbot.com%2Ffilament%2Fpolymakr%2Fpolymakr_testing_notes.odt&usg=AFQjCNHmguqA0f6acgU7ZgfHgCazY3MxhA&sig2=Rf741AKlmVEUacz8ADymlg

Sounds like it is not nearly as flexible as Ninjaflex. If it is like polypropylene like they say, it really is going to be MUCH stiffer than Ninjaflex. I think the only way to really print a material such as Ninjaflex on your Mini is to have the Flexystruder. The filament is just too bendy for the standard extruder.

Good stuff. Thanks for the reply. I had done a little googling but did come across that same info. I did order a spool to test it out so I’ll post my results.

I had sent them an email too asking if they knew if the PolyFlex could be printed with the regular printhead, here is their reply:

You should be able to print straight with the regular print head according to customers. We unfortunately do not have one of those printer in our test lab but I would say with some confidence that you will not have any issues.

I received the PolyFlex today. Really impressed with how fast they shipped. I really like the filament too. I have never used ninjaflex so I can’t compare but this very flexible. More flexible than I expected. And I’m really excited to be able to print flexible filament without buying a Flexystruder. I have had some issues getting it to print though so having a Flexystruder is probably still the best way to go.

It tends to bunch up in the extruder above the hot end at the beginning of the print cycle. If I pause the print and open the extruder I can release the bunched up filament. Then starting the print again it will often complete the rest of the print without issue. I’m not super happy with the quality of the print either. It isn’t terrible but I’m used to better quality with this printer. That said, I’m still pretty new to 3D printing. I’ve had my mini for a couple of months and I had never 3D printed before buying it. I imagine I could dial in the prints with better settings so if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate your input. Here are the settings I’m using:

Layer height: .25mm
Shell thickness: 1mm
Retraction enabled
Bottom/Top thickness: .8
Fill density: 20%

Print Speed: 35
Printing Temp: 230
Bed Temp: off
Flow: 100%

I’m not using a glue stick or painters tape on the be and it adheres really really well. It’s hard to get the print off.