Saw a lot of people making these. Looked awfully easy.
Used the Cura method. Basically…just open an image in Cura and go…with a few tweaks.
Images were nice and high res. Had to shrink them quite a bit. Res 500.
Height 4 mm
Base : .4
darker is higher
white Village plastic HIPS
used the default Lulzbot settings for Village Plastics HIPS, except fill was set to 0 and retraction was not enabled.
I saw some folks recommending that to avoid clogs. I’d like to try it again with retraction. It might clean up some stray angel hair in there. But my printing time before Mother’s Day is limited. But, I kind of like the old-timey sepia effect. Still need to finish 2 individual portraits and the frame.
I had originally tried natural PLA on a smaller test run. Too clear. Yellow might have been nice. Again…kind of a sepia effect. However, I’m going to put a Hue color bulb to this after I print out a frame and buy a lamp kit. And figure out what to make for a base.
I did put a ‘tan’ border around the image with the Gimp. I wanted a uniform thickness on the border. White would have been way to thin and I didn’t want a “black” border around it. The frame will handle that.
Only concern I had while watching it print is that I was worried some of the really dark sections would be too much of a bridge. But, this HIPS is really nice and those side fans would kick in and it had no problems ultimately covering up those spans after a couple layers.