M175 v2 head on a mini 2

I just upgraded from the SE toolhead to the M175 v2 on my mini2. While I expect it’s straightforward to use, there are no instructions available, it seems.

I surmise the long, flexible hollow tube is intended as a guide for the 1.75mm filament, and I suppose I can cut it to length - presumably just long enough to get back to the spool.

It also seems you just push the hollow tube into the head?

Also, I see the tightening screw, but no idea how tight it needs to be. Or, exactly, how you go about loading filament…

I run with about 50mm of tube, since the Mini2 has a top-mounted spool. It just pushes in. To remove you push down the ring the tube goes through while pulling on the tube. You generally won’t have to remove that short section of tube unless you’re disassembling.

For most materials, there’s a very large window of proper tightness since it’s a quality dual-gear extruder. Stay on the lighter side of tensions, such that only very shallow teeth marks are visible if you retract the filament.

Remember you’ll have to re-set your z probe offset when you change toolheads in the universal firmware’s “Tool Change” menu on the printer.

What about maintenance? I read somewhere that 1.75 mm heads require more maintenance than 2.85, but don’t know what that entails…

I’m looking at your printables.com collection. I am trying to wrap my head around the side mounted BLTouch for the M175v2. How is that going to fit given the stepper is right above it?

1 Like

Fits very neatly, actually. Problem is that it can’t reach the full bed, especially on a mini2. I use the front mount, which reaches nearly everywhere, but with it hanging out the front, there is more potential for an X-axis twist (possibly caused by push from the drag chain) to screw up readings, so the firmware needs to have x-axis twist compensation enabled.

No, no difference in maintenance. I see less, since my 1.75mm heads are all dual-gear solutions. Having teeth on more of the filament leads to less required pressure, which crushes the filament less, which leads to less filament dust filling up gears and such.