New TAZ4 owner and have hard time getting prints

Owning TAZ4 for couple weeks now, this is my first own printer and I had limited experience with Replicator 2X. I read quite a lot during these couple weeks of owning and learned a lot, but I still have trouble to get nice and strong prints sometimes.

I am using ABS filament at default 230C/85C settings (i tried to go higher and lower essentially having same set of problems)

I am keep playing with fan on and off, but part either become deformed, or nicly layed, but delaminates easily right away or with minor pressure applied.

it is less of a problem with parts where walls are strictly vertical, but becomes major problem when wall have some sort of curvature.

When I turn off fan at all (like it is recommended everywhere for abs plastic), edges of part lift a bit getting in a way of extruder and as a result would either become damaged (if speed is high) or just become super deformed (if speed is slow.) You can see how edge of the part raises in video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFZwec_6Ae8 (it is printing it slowly in this video, but if I raise speed - it would actually tear away some pieces of the part edge)

When I am using fan and set it to 100% max, it would lay down much nicer layers, and i see raising edge effect rarely, but then part delaminates while still on printing bed and in overall not strong.

I am attaching stl file of part i am trying to print. Any ideas of what I should look for to get nice print for this particular part?

I tried too many combinations of settings so far, but the one in the video is “medium abs” settings file from lulzbot website with speed adjusted with knob on the printer down to 50%
bender_body.stl (742 KB)

For lifting, you can try the ABS slurry trick, which works well. You can also try printing with a 5-7mm brim layer to get better adhesion. You may also be slightly too high on your first layer.

If you seem to have good adhesion at first and then it lifts off later, you may be encountering ABS heat warp. ABS tends to cool unevenly, and contract when it does so. If you are attempting to print in an unconditioned space during the winter, it will cause parts to lift pretty easily. The easiest countermeasures for that problem are building some sort of heat trapping enclosure box around the printer (a large cardboard box works well for this if you keep it away from the heat sources due to the whole cardboard being flammable thing)

Have you ran through the calibration gcode file and made sure your bed is completely level?

Thanks!

Yes, bed is leveled.

In this case I am talking about different kind of “lifting” tho. I have good bed adhesion. Lifting I am talking here about is perimeter lifting. If you open stl file you will notice that lowest part of the model have kinda spherical expansion as it goes higher. So Slic3r tries to put each layer slightly wider, but because of edge keep curling - extruder start touching it producing bad artifacts. If I turn on fan - this almost stops from happening, but then I have adhesion problem between layers.

Just tried print same part using “fine with auto support” except I added Z axis lift between layers to avoid knocking part from bed. Here is link to settings file I was using: http://devel.lulzbot.com/TAZ/3.1/software/2014Q1/slic3r/config/fine_ABS_auto-support_pt35nzl_pt14layer/fine_ABS_auto-support_pt35nzl_pt14layer.ini

I end up with both delamination and major deformation on lower part of this model see below:

Any tips on how to make at very least this lower part of the model smooth?

When I opened the stl file in the op to look at what you were trying to print, I discovered a rather complex geometry.

I wonder, can you design something less complex and print that without any issues?

Maybe something like the stl file attached?
I printed one using ABS fine and it came out looking really nice.
tolerance block_01.STL (17 KB)