First of all, I know I am crazy for jumping in the deep end before learning to swim, but there is something in me that rebels against printing countless cubes or tugboats so I can learn technique, etc. So I know my ignorance is prolly blatant and appreciate any input/correction/advice you might proffer. I’m a kinesthetic learner and can only read so many sets of instruction before looking like a deer in oncoming headlights.
I found what I think is a really cool project called the “Hovalin”, it’s a 3d violin copy of a Stratavarius that can be printed in 4 pieces. http://www.hovalin.com/make/
I wanted this to be my first project using Slic3r and my LCD to print. I loaded the plan into Slic3r, then onto my card. I found the file on my LCD and went to print, nothing happened. Having some time off and not being able to figure it out, I went back to Cura and connecting my computer. I tried to print the middle piece 2x, but had sticking issues both times and canceled the prints early on. After thinking about it, and trying a few things, I checked the bed level. I didn’t expect it to be out of level, since I’ve only printed a couple of things since getting the printer and leveling it initially. Upon checking it I found the X axis to be significantly off from the left side to the right. My brain is still new to this and I didn’t expect to be out of level, but I went to setting the level and ran into the same thing I did a few weeks ago, i.e., the level adjustment screws are to short to adjust the amount I needed to to level the bed. After playing with it, I finally decided to adjust things on a more gross level, vs the fine tune of the screws (a lot of you may be saying “duh” at this point). I disabled the stepper motors and turned the right side to bring the bed more level, started a new print and had no sticking issues, so apparently I was extruding into outer space the first to times. (there is a little voice in my head asking why/how it got out of level so quickly, that the 2 stepper motors may not be running in synchronicity, but for now I am ignoring the voices in my head).
I used eSun ABS and just used the beginner settings provided by Lulzbot (“intermediate” setting with brim, nozzle 240 and bed 110). Overall, I’m to new and ignorant to be less than jazzed (this is still way cool to me that I can make a violin from a piece of plastic string). Here’s my results. The Hovalin site said this “mid” part would take 4 hours, it took me 14 to print (a long time to tie up the computer, I really need to figure out how to do this from the card). The first 5 mm look kinda rough, almost bubbly, then it smooths out pretty nicely for the remainder of the print. I had three instances where corners didn’t stick for about 7mm, but it doesn’t affect the structural integrity, just tells me something went wrong at those junctures.