Power Supply Fan Upgrade [Tutorial]

I must have the older style power supply.

Looking to swap out the original and very loud 60x60x15 but can only seem to find "quiet fans in 60x60x25 size :angry:

performance-pcs.com might have some 60mm x 15mm quiet fans. I know Noctua doesn’t make one in that thickness though.

Ahh yeah the older PSU. Is there room in there for another 10mm for a 25mm fan?

Check that 1st and if not, I would hit up Lulzbot support because they sent me the newer power supply way outside the warranty (my old one, which is the same as yours, went out). That old PSU had a lot of issues they said.

Does not seem to be room for a 25mm fan.

I’ll see if I can get upgraded with a new PSU as you have suggested!

Hi, cool post. Thanks, will consider a change as well. For me the heat sink fan is also a replacement candidate! Do you ever considered this also?

Regards
Thomas

Thanks!

Definitely thinking about it. I have that heat creep issue sometimes and it’s just a pain.

I saw this recently: https://forum.lulzbot.com/t/30-40mm-heat-sink-fan-for-taz-hexagon/1630/1

Looks awesome! Maybe we can try that but with ultra quiet fans.

Let me know if you try anything!

Thanks

Thanks for posting this. I just completed the fan replacement and it makes a HUGE difference in noise. I’m going to replace the other fan next.

Thanks for posting.

Sweet glad to hear!

Good luck on the other fan!

You can soon call your printer the Lulzbot Ninja…get it?

-Imran

(Sorry for the slight bump)

I’ve got an old style PSU as well and the current fan seems to be on its way out. I’ve had a look at the current fan and its a 14v one - I’m not confident enough (or silly enough) to try to measure the voltage when its powered on but I feel a bit iffy about sticking in a 12v fan. Anyone know if it should be fine with a 12v fan?

The fan in his photo is 12v so there must be a 12v side just for the fan. I once had an expensive 12v power supply that took an odd 20v fan (could not find a replacement anywhere.).

Hi

Why must the wires be reversed for the fan?

Hey,

It’s all because of how the original fan manufacturer has it wired to the connector. It won’t work if you don’t reverse it. You actually may damage your new fan if you don’t…

Good luck!

Upon inspection that made sense, thanks for the reply :slight_smile:

I see in your picture of the Noctua fan that you have reversed the airflow, blowing in instead of out. Is this intended? The stock fan in my PSU blows out.

Thanks

I must have quickly put it in there to take the picture lol. But yes match the orientation to the original fan!

I got it working and it’s excellent. Time to do the case one.

Thanks for posting this! :slight_smile:

Sweet! No problem, good luck on the case. I have another for that on this forum.

I just finished this upgrade. Thanks for sharing, super simple and easy.

I do have a question though. It seems like the amount of air circulating and blowing out is significantly less than the original fan.

Has anyone had an issue with this? Has anyone tested this with 10+ hour prints? I would just hate to damage the power supply because the air flow was reduced.

Awesome, good work!

I had the same question after the install. I’ve been printing about 30+ hours a week for my 3D Hubs business (since installing the new fan) which included several 24+ hour prints. Have not had any issues so far :mrgreen:

Pretty good tutorial!

Please note that there is a component INSIDE the silicone blob, so be careful about cutting in there - do not just tear it off or into it. Only along the wire per tutorial.

I dropped one of the tiny silver screws that’s holds the inner lid, oops, don’t do that :slight_smile: don’t need it fortunately, it may yet turn up.

Completed a 15 print run. So quiet :slight_smile:

Had to verify the fan is actually spinning. Crazy.

Also found the missing screw, I am whole again.

Printer is dialed in again too (new print head)