Same gcode, different results ...


I’m not sure if this is a software or a hardware issue … but I’m leaning more towards hardware. First of all, my printer is an ao-101 with an upgraded budaschnozzle 2.0 with a 0.35mm tip. I’m printing with PLA from

Since about a week, the surface of my parts is really rough with many imperfections. At the beginning, I thought it was a fan problem and found that my fan was working 100% all the time, so that didn’t help. This is fixed.

Yesterday, I successfully printed a part and was so happy because I thought I finally found the right slic3r paramaters. So I printed the part again right after the first one, and got again a very bad surface and even some cracking.

Parts in pic 1 and 2 were printed at 0.28mm, with automatic fan settings @ 200C and 60C bed, EXACT SAME GCODE

The following was printed at 185C, 60C bed, 0.22mm layer height

My last print, it’s getting worse…: 200C, 60C bed, 0.22mm layer height, automatic fan setting

I regularly measure my filament diamater. I tried increasing nozzle temp. I played with speed, infill … pretty much every slic3r parameter. I tried to tighten every possible bolts on the printer. From the pictures above, does anybody recognize a possible hardware problem ?

By the way, I start from lulzbot PLA medium profile and try changing one parameter a the time, but nothing seems to really help.
I’m willing to try things to solve the problem …

I have ZERO experience with PLA, but looking at your pictures and checking out the Lulzbot profile for PLA I’d suggest you go back to lower temps for nozzle and bed.

Extruder: 180°C Heated Bed: 50°C <— PLA profile temps suggested by Lulzbot.

Your 185 and 60 print looks best. Why go to, or stay at 200?

Again - just going by your pics. :blush:

ok I’ll try that, 200C was a suggestion from Orias to solve delamination problems.

The flow multiplier (increase for more filament, decrease for less percentage of filament) might be something to check also. It looks like the extruded filament gets a little lean. Getting back to 190-ish extrusion temps will prevent the PLA from burning… and clogging the nozzle… Check the filament manufacturer for temp settings as it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and colors.

When you manually extrude, is the filament a steady bead? If not, the nozzle could be clogged.

With ABS, delamination issues are often associated with the parts cooling too quickly. The “fix” is to enclose the printer so the ambient temp around the entire printer is pushing 90F or so.

I don’t know if that’s a common scenario with PLA or not.

Is your printer open to cross-drafts and/or cold temps?

I played with the flow multiplier a bit, but it didn’t make much of a difference. As I said, I try to measure my filament diameter as often as possible. Manufacturer suggests a range of 180-210, which I tried.

I will try to extrude above the bed and see how it comes out.

edlink, yes my printer is in a plexiglass enclosure as I have been using abs a lot in the past.

My first thought seeing the photos is either moisture int he PLA or just bad PLA.

Ok, I tried the same part as the last picture in the first post, PLA again, different color. My nozzle is definately not clogged.

I tried lulzbot recommended temperatures of 180C and 50C bed … terrible results, see below. It’s weird, it looks like warping abs.

Have you tried printing without your enclosure just to make sure you temperatures aren’t affecting your hardware?

Also check and make sure all your nuts, belts, and bolts are tight or at least the ones that are supposed to be are.

Check to make sure your carriage isn’t binding.

Also look for melted, hot or shorting connectors. I had a one of my AO-101 connectors short & fail but it would only fail when at certain positions so everything was fine while at rest and warming but it would fail when it was moving to certain positions.

Check that your hobbled bolt is gummed up and can move freely. Also check that the gears aren’t slipping or cracked.

For those interested, I think I solved the problem.

The z coupling between the right stepper and the thread rod was lose, so the threaded rod was able to move up and down. At the same time, I lubricated both threaded rods. Seems to have resolved my problem!

Thanks for all your suggestions.