Success rate of the Taz 4

Hello,
I’d like to get a new 3D printer and I don’t know which printer to buy between the Taz 4 and the Ultimaker.
I have quite a lot of expirience with prusas, i2 and i3, but now I’m looking for something more reliable, a printer that once it’s calibrated, it “never” fails.
Could you guys tell me what is your printing succes rate with your printers or give me any kind of advise?
Thank you very much! :slight_smile:

Finding a printer that “never” fails is a tall order. Even the $400k Fortus system here at work fails now and then…

That said, the Taz is a reliable printer. Bed leveling and nozzle gap adjustment are my most frequent maintenance items. I can’t remember the last time I had a build that failed after the first layer was complete. The mid-print failures I have had were due to partial nozzle clogs.

A couple of comments…

Firstly, I consider Z height adjustment as part of the preparation process and not a maintenance or reliability issue. In CNC machining, at least at the small scale manufacturing level, we set the Z offset frequently. I do the same with my printers. You might be surprised at how much bed movement there can be with temperature and even humidity changes (depending on your bed material and printer construction).

My Rostock Max has been in production (i.e. running 6+ hours a day manufacturing parts for my business) for well over a year without a single failure or need to bed level or calibrate. Printing exclusively PLA and I have not had a single nozzle or hotend plug in that time. It is not a stock printer though, I worked systematically to get it to this point. I have no doubt that I’ll attain that with my KITTAZ (TAZ 4) in very short order. The folks at Lulzbot have a very large printer farm made up of TAZs that they print the parts for these printers on. “Failure is not an option” in environments like that! And, the “drink your own champaign” principle applies - they are using their own product to run their business. I’m not aware of any other ready-to-run printer company that does that - at least to the scale that Lulzbot is doing. It’s something worth considering…

cheers,
Michael

The Taz4 is a great printer stock or a great printer to start modding. The best part is the one year warranty and insanely good customer service and community. Go or it, :wink:

I was in the same decision making dilemma. I went with the TAZ for a couple reasons. Although heavy I like the reliability of the Greg’s Wade extruder. How well the TAZ was rated in 2014 helped nudge me toward it. But mainly I chose the TAZ because of how customizable the machine is. The fact that LulzBot releases everything down to R&D notes makes it quick for community members to make their own modifications. And the more members join the more mods will come out. I also really like their generation upgrading, it sets the pace for home 3d printer capabilities yet incremental enough so that legacy TAZ owners can keep their machines up to date without having to buy a completely new printer.

I got a lotta love for my Lulzbot Taz 4, with it I have finished many designs that I have been wondering how to make for over 20 years, if you are a maker, this 3-D printer is one of the best, for accuracy, ease of use and build volume for the cost. I decided based upon those criteria, I have finished prints than have taken 3 days to print without fail. I’m sure I could design ones that would take 4-5x longer than that if I wanted to use the entire build volume.

Yeah there have been bumps in the road, but with each mod I have improved my relationship with my fabrication device, Lulzbot provided accurate technical support for my problems I did have, and support is something lacking from most of the other 3-D printer companies, they simply do not have the expert knowledge base to draw from or dedicated makers like myself that will come to this forum and give accurate friendly advice, just ask.

I hope you choose the TAZ so you can experience the Nirvana of dreaming or needing something “now”, designing something on you computer and poof in a few hours it’s in your hand.

I saved approx $3500.00 on model revisions on just ONE model by having the ability to reliably print at home with my Taz 4.

Using the Cura software on basic mode and simply slowing down the speed on the TAZ console until you see what you want in the way of print quality is so simple anyone could do it, for PLA I suggest 60% print speed using Form Futura filament @ 217C and you can print just about anything with ease.

The Taz has a larger build volume than the Ultimaker or the Makerbot so as a primary cost concern this objective is met.

You can build a lot more dreams with a TAZ than a $2200 used car, and bigger dreams than with an Ultimaker, MakerBot, Dremel, or any of the smaller 3-D printers which are on the first or second revision with little or no tech support.

Ogrethetoymaker

I’m on my 2nd month with my taz 4. (got it just before the taz 5 and lulzbot sent me the new hot end for free!)

I got it printing reliably pretty quickly (within a couple of days) and have been tweaking and adjusting ever since. The weekend before last I put a PEI surface on, re-adjusted / re-leveled / re-tested, and I can pretty safely say I have it set up as well as it could be. I have not had any failed prints since probably the second week I got it (using glue sticks on bare glass with both ABS and PLA before the PEI) and at this point it’s just about getting a better quality print - a never ending exercise in learning and tweaking.

There is a learning curve. Depending on your technical ability it could take you a day, or a couple of months to get the reliability you seek - but I think that is going to be the case with whatever machine you decide to purchase.

If you stick with it, you’ll get it.