I recently upgraded my Taz5 with an Archim2 mainboard. I built up Marlin2 from scratch and it was quite hard for me because I was new to vscode, and marlin2.(Bye bye Arduino, I just started feeling comfortable with you lol) Alot has changed. It was also incredibly slow and tedious work. Not just figuring out what to do, but what had to be done and undone and also understanding the trinamic drivers of the TMC2130 stepper drivers on the Archim2, and figuring out what settings to use. Also the ARCHIM2 has essentially no documentation, except for a picture and a schematic (which I can’t really read, maybe 50% of it). Along with a few comments on a couple of items that were needed in the marlin 2 config*.h files (leaving out the other 8000 things lol). All told it probably took me close to two weeks of nights studying and researching before I got it all done and working.
My Taz5 has been extensively hardware modified. I designed and installed a removable build bed, and designed and printed a mount for a Bondtech QR extruder (with an e3dv6 hot end), custom part fan for the mount, and recently added a bltouch mount as well (for the Archim2 upgrade). I have 12mm X axis guide rods and linear ball bearings. I also have linear bearings on the Y and Z axes along with hardened steel guide rods (still 10mm). I also have an anti Z wobble upgrade (designed by piercet from this board). Also have a PT100 and its amplifier for more accurate temp readings at the extruder. And of course the bed heater and it’s thermistor are also different from the original taz 5 (part of my removable build bed design). This setup can print 290x280x240 in x, y and z respectively. Finally I also added a bigtreetech tft 70 v3 for a big fancy color touch screen OR marlin lcd mode control, choice of which at the press of a button. The btt tft 70 v3 connects via serial port and has it’s own onboard processor, so you don’t need to configure marlin for it, other than to create a serial port and also tell it is still has a reprap discount full graphic lcd controller. So there is also two 10 pin ribbon cables that get connected from the screen in addition to the serial connection. (Note I didn’t add this controller until I put in the Archim2, I don’t think it would be easy to put it on the Rambo board).
I had been wanting to add bltouch because even though leveling on my bed design (3 point leveling) was relatively easy and stable, the glass for my beds are just not flat enough to use the whole surface at once without mesh levelling. Also because the original taz comes with a Rambo 1.3L it’s likely just not powerful enough to handle all the data of mesh levelling and driving all three axes at once. So I decided to go to 32 bit at the same time as adding bltouch.
ARCHIM2 has some drawbacks, it’s only 84mhz and it is expensive. HOWEVER and this was the deal maker for me, it’s essentially a drop in replacement for the Rambo. It even uses all the same connectors so I didn’t even have to change them (except in one minor case, the control case fan). So it saved a ton of mechanical work potentially created by going with a different (cheaper) board with a different form factor and likely different connectors in some places. Also lots of potential wiring changes. None of that is required of the Taz 5 going to an Archim2. From a mechanical installation standpoint, it’s no different than replacing a broken Rambo 1.3L or 1.4 with a new one. You can even use the same power supply. Even the power connector pops right into the Archim2. The polarity order didn’t even change! Super easy from that standpoint.
So over the next several days I will add some pictures and post all the marlin files for my build. Just keep in mind the customizations I’ve made will impact some of the settings if you want to try this upgrade and your Taz 5 is totally stock or changed in different ways than mine.
Let me know if you’re interested in me continuing this thread that will motivate me to continue. I don’t want to talk to myself!