TAZ 6 Print Shifting

When printing it shifting on the y-axis on our Lulzbot Taz 6. It shifts back and forth a few times throughout the print only on the y-axis. We are using Cura version 21.00 and the Taz 6 profile. The belts were tight and it was auto centered before hand. Any Suggestions?

You have 1 of 3 things occuring.

1. you have a loose belt in the direction of the shifting (if the print is shifting in Y, it’s the Y motor belt).
  2. You have a loose motor setscrew on the belt drive pulley on the Y motor.
  3. You have the printer in an enclosure and are not properly venting the electronics, they are overheating, and you are seeing shifting due to that.

Is there a way to manually speed up the fan in the electronics portion of the Taz 6? If not what room temp would be ideal for printing, we had it at 73 degrees for an ambient room temp.

There is not a way to spin up that fan, and it should be adequate for use unless the printer is inside an enclosure without venting. 73 is a little warmer than usual, but certanly not warm enough to cause that. My guess would be a loose setscrew, or the belt really isn’t tight enough.

The things you learn here! I never would have thought of that!

Rob

So if overheating can cause this problem then how old is your Taz6? More to the point, how long has it been since you cleaned your motherboard cabinet and fan out? I know my PC’s will clog up, particularly my graphics card fan in just a couple of months (but it can be very dusty here in Texas.) So I clean out the e-cabinet on the TAZ one a month per the manual.

Rob

I just had this same problem. I found a bad wire in the connector right at the x-axis motor. It looked like it was making connection, but when I examined it a little closer the wire literally broke off. I had to re connect a new connector on the cable, plugged it in and it worked.

Hope this helps.