Can someone clarify this?
I bought a TAZ 6 a few months ago with a serial number in the 24000 range. I was about to start a 20+ hour print but ran across several comments on the internet about issues with the Z axis controller overheating due to its heat sink falling off. To prevent possible damage to my unit, I decided to open the box and check this out before starting the print. To my surprise, there were no heat sinks on the board at all! The board is a RAMBo 1.3L. Further checking into this revealed a Lulzbot service bulletin instructing owners of earlier units to remove the heat sink entirely.
So I am a bit confused.
- Was it determined that the factory heat sinks caused problems and simply were not needed?
- Was there a board change to correct this that didn’t require heat sinks (does the “L” in the version refer to Low Power or something)?
- Are TAZ 6 units supposed to be shipping without heat sinks now?
- If so, any benefit to adding them back on with proper thermal transfer adhesive?
- Can I run my 20+ hr print without heat sinks safely without risk of damage or decreased life of the motors/electronics?