Trouble with prints cracking

I’m having some trouble with my prints cracking. The filament that is being used is ABS.

I have the extruder end set at 240C and the bed at 85C, but my prints come out cracking and not entirely square.

is it possible that the location where I have the printer sitting is too cold which would cool down the print too much too fast? (Its in the basement because of the long prints)

or is the bed not set to a high enough temperature?

thanks

Most likely need to build an enclosure. ABS is not a fan of un enclosed printing.

That was kinda my thought, I’ll give that a shot. Probably just a cardboard box would suffice?

I used a cardboard box on mine when I use to print with ABS and that worked perfectly. Recently I saw someone who just covered the machine with some bubble wrap. Basically anything that will keep the air in and low draft will suffice.

Enclose printer.

I run ABS at 230c/nozzle and 95c/bed.
240c sounds too hot.

I have also found that printing the infill first, then printing perimeters helps cut down on delamination due to cooling. This is an option in Slic3r. Don’t know if CURA has that option or not.

Adding ribs, if possible, is a great thing to do too.

Hi SB Assassin, I’ve had the exact same problem as you. I’m printing with the Mini and Lulzbot ABS. Small prints are ok but large prints that is 2+ hours will warp and crack. Building an enclosure helps A LOT, plus printing with brim and glue stick. I’ve tried all the various methods suggested on the online forums, even with all that, I still see a small amount of warping, and the occasional small crack on long prints.

The best solution that I’ve found was changing to a different ABS filament. I am fortunate to live nearby a Fry’s Electronic that sells PlA and ABS filament. The name brand is Shaxon, it has a lot of negative reviews on amazon, but amazingly, it works very well for me. (I’m printing hollow container boxes) I print at 270c, 110c bed temperature, with enclosure. No cracks, no warp, it just works. I also notice that Shaxon’s ABS has more of an elastic property to it. I’m no expert on filament but I think this might have helped with the warping situation. There is also less odor when printing. I hope this helps.

What is a good ambient temperature? My basement is 13C which seems too cold so I will build an enclosure but what temp am I aiming for in my enclosure?

Yep. you need to enclose those prints and keep the temperature consistent and warm, no drafts, cold spots etc. That’s the only way to do it. Take the time to enclose things and it WILL work.

13C…hahaha, good luck with that man, I’m suprised your metal frame doesn’t crack at that temperature. For ABS, on long prints, my enclosure routinely get’s up to 40C, I’m pretty sure anything in the 30+ range should be ok. Pro level enclosure use active heat to get things even warmer, into 50 to 70C range, but at that temp, you have to worry about cooling your components with fans and water cooling.

The top can be left open But common guys, using buble wrap, seriously? Have a bit of class and take the time to put some effort into a proper enclosure, plus, 200+ degrees components and bubble wrap don’t mix, fire hazard much?

The top can be left open But common guys, using buble wrap, seriously? Have a bit of class and take the time to put some effort into a proper enclosure, plus, 200+ degrees components and bubble wrap don’t mix, fire hazard much?

Hey… :frowning: That’s me you’re talking about. Haha! Yeah, it could be a touch of a fire hazard not much worse than the cardboard box method I’m sure. It works well for trapping in heat and it beats no enclosure though. I have recently put my TAZ in a large drying oven at 45°C but I’m working on getting an enclosure put together. There’s just so much to do…

:wink: I guess I am. Well whatever works in a pinch, I get it. But nothing beats a cool, dedicated enclosure like the one I built…ya tell me about it, my plan was to post up plans to build it, just so busy, probably won’t get around to it for months.

ya tell me about it, my plan was to post up plans to build it, just so busy, probably won’t get around to it for months.

Probably won’t get around to building one for months :laughing: No,I’ll get on it. I’m a grad student so my biggest slow down is money–spend my 3d print allowance on materials to build an enclosure or get some more spools so I can keep printing. I figure I’ll go with printing till my lab turns into a ball pit of printed parts.